Americans here planning to buy a "new" Fiat?

User1

RETIRED Admin, pm OFF
Yea or nay?

Any users here in the US planning to run out and buy a "new" Fiat whenever they sort out their US-spec versions and start shipping them out via what's left of the Chrysler dealer network?

I would be tempted to go pick up a new Fiat of some model or another (not ever getting out of X1/9s, or enthusiasm for "older" Fiats, would still have "at least one" X) but I just bought a Civic a few months ago... guess I could trade it in or sell it to go buy one, but I think I'd be upside down on it if I did that, so, probably I'll be a sideliner for now...

Would like to hear from any of you that are gearing up to go grab one though, what model do you have in mind and what are your thoughts/plans?

Just idle curiosity :)

The wife's tired '00 Protege will be ready to go to the scrapper in a couple years. The Suzuki SX4 is a contender for a replacement. A Mini too. But I'm holding off to see what Fiat is going to do. I would like to take a new 500 for a test drive.

Depends on what they sell. If the Grande Punto or Bravo are sold here, one of those would be my new commuter car. Even better if they sell an Abarth version. The Sedici and 500 are both nice cars, but not really the type of car I want for a commuter/grocery getter.

As far as Fiat Group cars, the Lancia Delta Mk3 has grown on me, and I'll definitely be taking a look at any Alfa Romeo that is sold here.

But, right, no matter what - my classic cars (X1/9 and Alfa 75) aren't going anywhere. :italia:

Need to see pricing...

I wonder what the sticker prices will be but :excited: YEA I'm in!
Abarth.jpg

Fiat_500_Abarth_5_v.jpg

So...Do all of the current model FIATs

...meet the US requirements for safety (bumpers, ect) as they currently stand, or will they have to be altered (made ugly) to pass?

multiple regs

will have to be met by their current foreign spec cars, not only bumpers but basically (iirc, again) "federal safety, emissions, and theft prevention standards" :hmm:

I do not think many/any of their existing Euro-spec cars meet it "all" off the shelf, based guessing on just differences in how laws are written, not technically better or worse. The closest one I would guess is the Sedici since its already here in a lower trim level as the Suzuki I mentioned (It would to me then seem a no brainer to start by tossing that on the market in Fiat trim, but even that might still require some tweaks, and I dont know whether Suzuki would/might have a vote?...)

All the other models would have to probably be modified by oem to some extent or another, but as for big klunky bumpers like the US-spec X1/9s got back in the day, I would not worry there, they are getting pretty good at this modern "integrated bumper" thing where they don't necessarily have to make them bigger or uglier anymore (thankfully :)) - Of course then those and other pesky regs like emissions also probably mean more weight and less power :sigh: but beggars cant be choosers! ;)

I try to never buy a new car.

I used to buy a new car every 2 years in my youth. It's a real waste of money IMHO, when you can get good used cars much cheaper. I did buy my wife a new Honda CR-V in 2001, so I am not completely rigid in my belief system. :)

Now, having said that, I will add that depending on price and what Fiaysler put in the showroom I would certainly go take a look.

Yes, but it better have a stick shift. I'd buy a.....

......Multipla or 500C. Really I'd buy any of their UK line and a few of their S. American line. I hope they don't tinker with them in the slightest.
Finally!!!! New cars I want to buy.

Cio Chrapler! Not gonna miss you, nor your defective transmissions.
JaMeS

Fiat coming to America

The only model for sure is the 500 at this time. Remember that Alfa Romeo is also in the mix, and chances are that their sedans will be the first available models in the US. Chrysler told us on Friday, (I'm a Family owned Jeep dealer for 50 years), via web call, that diesel technology and hybred (hydrogen) technology are # 1 on the list, as Fiat is light years ahead of everyone else. Don't be suprised if Cummins Diesels are dropped eventually in favor of the Fiat common rail truck diesels that are cleaner, quieter, and stronger per liter than the US counterparts. For now, the Govt has released some billions of dollars to maintain the company for the next few months.

The only model for sure is the 500 at this time. Remember that Alfa Romeo is also in the mix, and chances are that their sedans will be the first available models in the US. Chrysler told us on Friday, (I'm a Family owned Jeep dealer for 50 years), via web call, that diesel technology and hybred (hydrogen) technology are # 1 on the list, as Fiat is light years ahead of everyone else. Don't be suprised if Cummins Diesels are dropped eventually in favor of the Fiat common rail truck diesels that are cleaner, quieter, and stronger per liter than the US counterparts. For now, the Govt has released some billions of dollars to maintain the company for the next few months.

We in the land of OZ are spoiled for choice. My preference is petrol over diesel, but there is little doubt that Fiat is way ahead on the Diesel side of motoring. But diesel is best for medium to largish cars such as the Punto and Alfa 159. The high revving petrol engines best suit the little 'uns like the 500 and the new Alfa Mito.

One of the surprises in their new range is the Fiat Bravo (?) 1400 turbo petrol that we call the Ritmo in OZ. What a sweet powerful little motor. Smooth with zero lag. This is probably the engine that will find its way into the new 500 Abarth.

BTW, I have a 500 - 1400 petrol. It's a fun city car but not for long country trips, where I find the old X1/9 is a much more pleasant driving experience. The short wheelbase of the 500 makes it a very choppy ride. In city driving, with a heavy dose of peak hour rush, the 500 typically gets 40 mpg, or about 6 litres per 100km. On a long freeway trip I can get around 45-48mpg, and on an economy trial a few months back I achieved (wait for it) 78mpg over 100 miles of a test course. The mpg figures are UK figures - I'm not sure of the US equivalents.

I'm sure our American cousins are going to really enjoy the latest Fiat offerings. And BTW, new Fiats are every bit as reliable as any other Euro car. Which means they are a tad behind the Japanese.

EDIT:
I've just found a link to the Fiat Bravo. I hope this works:

http://fiat500usa.blogspot.com/search/label/Fiat%20Bravo

Last edited:
I am if they bring the 500 Abarth version....

In a couple yrs my oldest daugther will "officially" start legally driving,so my little Kia Rio 4dr sedan commuter would be passed to her.I bought it with those very intentions from the beginning...lol
So it will be my turn for a nice small sport sedan/coupe i guess,but they better price it right,cause if not I`ll buy me a new or used 370Z!!!!....

Ezitag, the U.S. gallon ,,

would be 20 % less in volume than the U.K. Canada used to use the U.K. gallon but we are now metric. I don't like the new rating of L/K as I don't relate to it as well. I still use the M.P.G. in U.K. for my own use. Always good to know as it's a good indicator that all is working well with the efficiency. I check it at least yearly.

If and When...

...they import an Abarth 500, I'll definitley take one for a test drive.
If it impresses me half as much as the '72 124 Sport Coupe did. I'll lay down cash! :italia:

I will be in line for a neu 500 Abarth.

And for WIW, Fiat has been building its cars for the last decade to meet US standards with teh intention of coming back....

Not enough people will buy Fiats to matter

Americans do not want small cars.

There are 2 small cars on the market that compete with the Fiat 500;

Mini Cooper and the Smart car.

Total sales in 2008 for both cars was ~78,500 cars (24,000 Smart, 54,000 Mini) This total is up by ~20% from 2007.

By comparison GM has sold almost 94,000 Chevrolet Silverado PU in 4 months of 2009 (down 42% from 4 months 2008).

A car with a market of 25,000 to 50,000 a year means nothing to big car companies. They need real volume to be profitable(listen to Fiat's CEO)

This will turn out to be bad for Fiat/Chrysler/Opel in the long run IMHO.

I'll take two, please

Back when only Alfa was coming, I wanted to buy a 159 Q4 to replace an Audi A4 I have. Now that Fiat is coming back, I'll take a 500 or Grande Punto (if that model is sold here). Hey, I'm open!:dance:

At this moment I'm happy to say I'll be buying an Italian car (or two) in the next couple of years!:headbang:

which one

Yea or nay?

Any users here in the US planning to run out and buy a "new" Fiat whenever they sort out their US-spec versions and start shipping them out via what's left of the Chrysler dealer network?

I would be tempted to go pick up a new Fiat of some model or another (not ever getting out of X1/9s, or enthusiasm for "older" Fiats, would still have "at least one" X) but I just bought a Civic a few months ago... guess I could trade it in or sell it to go buy one, but I think I'd be upside down on it if I did that, so, probably I'll be a sideliner for now...

Would like to hear from any of you that are gearing up to go grab one though, what model do you have in mind and what are your thoughts/plans?

Just idle curiosity :)

Word is they will import the Abarth version, but I will know only when you do also. Who knows, they might even build them here, which I feel would be a smarter move for selling them to the average US consumer.
Having driven a RHD white one with an 1100, and just recently a red LHD one with I think was the 1400 in it, I think they will be a bit underpowered for the North American market.
Me, I want something with better fuel mileage than my Prius, so I will be standing there with that ready to trade. It's even got the coveted California commuter lane stickers!
What ever I get will get a few special tweeks as soon as it will not void it's warranty.

I'd just like to point a few things out here. Please realize, I am not in the automotive industry.

The SMART car doesn't have distribution like an established brand.

The mini, that cars design is tired. When are they revamping it?

As for small cars. America needs to wake up and smell the coffee.

I'm interested in test driving the 500, but am leary of buying a new car. I did that once, and at the time said I won't do it again.

Ed

Back