And then, 3 lug bolts off...

slaponte

The Iron Monkey
So I took it out last night and by 20 miles or so started clunking on the front left , first sometimes, then more until constant. I thought it was the upper strut hitting the chasis. By the time I pulled over I found it was missing 3 of the 4 lug bolts, the rim was on with just one. :eek::eek:

I don't know yet how this happened. I had all the wheels off the day before and put them on myself very carefully. I always do this very carefully because the bolts always feel like they might strip. I got the longer "alloy" bolts, etc. All the other three rims are fine, only the front left lost lug bolts. Weird.

At least the wheel didn't come off. I have some extra lugs, so I am going today to inspect, bolt up and bring it home for further checkup.

I am seriously considering switching to studs and nuts. I don't like how the bolts feel putting them on, don't want to tigthen too much for fear of stripping... they just don't feel "secure".

Torque rating.

Torque your wheel studs to 65lbs and you should have no problem. For the racers out there, you can go to 70lbs, but should not really go over this amount as it could cause your rotors to warp.

Eric Armstrong.

Did you

ues a torque wrench like this one http://www.sears.com/shc/s/s_10153_12605_Tools_Mechanics+Tools_Torque+Wrenches and torque it to at least 68ft # I use 74ft # because I race .and I never use a power tool for tightening wheels .I like to get the bolts snug by hand lower the car enough to get some weight on the tires so they don't turn as you do the final torque down using a turque wrench set to 74 ft # .drive it a bit and do a retorque and every once in awhile do retorque.

Precision Mass

(No, nothing to do with Easter Sunday!)

I'll admit to using the gen-u-ine OEM lug wrench/pry tool that came with my '86. It is about 6" long and I weigh about 150 pounds, so gently standing on it is a good approximation for field work.

No, I did not use that method to torque the fasteners when I replaced the head gasket last summer -- I didn't have room to tip the car onto its side.

Do not forget to go in a cross pattern either (star for 5 lugs) & always double check your lugs after a mile or so of driving.

And it's not an awful idea...

... to retorque after a day or so of driving. No earthly reason why it should be necessary, as there's nothing compressible in there - but sometimes the bolts move a bit when the same torque is reapplied after some driving time.

Thanks everybody. Seems the Fiat gods smiled on me. Even the one bolt that was left seems un-damaged. After taking it off, carefull inspection, threading (by hand, no wheel) all 4 on and off to make sure the threads were ok, etc, etc, I re-installed my wheel, all 4 grabbed good, lowered the car, torque (cross for 4) and drove it home, all seems fine. It is a good 20 mile drive so tomorrow AM first thing I will re-torque all around for safety.

BTW, I checked the other three wheels and all the lugs were fine. I can only think I messed up somewhere. I see no reason at all for them to come out. Oh well.

Back