Announcing: X1/9 Wiki

dcioccarelli

Dominic Cioccarelli
Hi all,

as you all know, this discussion group is a great place to find information. Unfortunately, sometimes (due to the nature of newsgroups) the data can be a bit unstructured which leads to duplicate posts / questions and generally a sub optimal experience.

We had a "best of / FAQ" on the old X web but even that is not as structured as it could be. To address these issues, I took some time to create a Wiki site dedicated to the X1/9:

http://x19.uidl.net/wiki/doku.php

I have left it "open" (no login required, anonymous) for the moment to encourage / facilitate contribution. If / when we find that doesn't work, I'll switch the authentication on (even in this case, anyone will be able to join).

Generally, the rules should be:

• Try to keep to the current overall structure
  • Read the "Wiki Syntax" link
  • Search for a topic before creating a new one
  • Split pages out into sub pages when they become too long
I've used some data from the existing Xweb 1 FAQ pages to populate some of the topics. This wasn't an exercise in plagiarism but rather an attempt to get things going, demonstrate the structure, etc.

Any help in adding content is appreciate. This could be a valuable resource for the X community.

Cheers,
Dom.

Ok I put some advice in the brake section and buying advice section. Sorry for the spelling mistakes....

Other sections

I don't know if it's permanent or not, but I added a 'Performance Engine Modifications' and a 'Performance Suspension Modifications' category. Maybe those can be broken down further into subsections as others add on how-to information.

Dom... I found WIKI rather easy to...

... edit and added a bit myself to JJ's posting...

I didn't try posting fotos yet... but thought that a lot of the good CURRENT stuff in the Best Of section could be copied and posted here. I like the indexing also... which was sorely lacking in Best Of.

One philosophical point about this site though is this... We tend to be a PROACTIVE and TIMELY site in nature... and when someone asks the same (old, dumb) questions... we have generally had to re-type or re-direct them. I always felt it was a bit "warmer" to post the link to the Best Of section for them... rather than telling them to go search for it themselves.

This WIKI site could make things a lot easier for all, but I still feel the human element should be at the forefront, unlike so many other sites.

I also feel, if you are not PROUD enough to identify yourself, then you need to stay home... Like any good lawyer, everyone should be able to SUPPORT their documentation and /or make themselves available for clarification. If you feel that this will somehow limit those that contribute, it is my feeling that we don't need contributions that cannot be substantiated or supported, or even if its (God forbid...) just an "opinion", we should at least know who's opinion it is. In other words, all contributions should be signed and dated.

I'll climb down of my "soapbox" now... And your thoughts???

other sections.

I don't know if it's permanent or not, but I added a 'Performance Engine Modifications' and a 'Performance Suspension Modifications' category. Maybe those can be broken down further into subsections as others add on how-to information.

Thanks for the addition, there is already a "Performance" section under the "Engine" section and we can certainly add one under "Suspension" as well.

The main page should typically just list the main categories, and then from there you drill down into the specifics, i.e. Engine -> Performance.

Dom.

I didn't try posting fotos yet... but thought that a lot of the good CURRENT stuff in the Best Of section could be copied and posted here. I like the indexing also... which was sorely lacking in Best Of.

For the photos, I have some space issues with the current provider. I'm currently linking to where the existing photos are located. I'll try to set up something more robust soon.

One philosophical point about this site though is this... We tend to be a PROACTIVE and TIMELY site in nature... and when someone asks the same (old, dumb) questions... we have generally had to re-type or re-direct them. I always felt it was a bit "warmer" to post the link to the Best Of section for them... rather than telling them to go search for it themselves.

I agree completely. Bringing these discussions to the forum even if they have already been addressed can also be a good way of adding new information to existing topics. I think that the Wiki is a good addition to this rather than substitute. We can simply point people to Wiki topics for their reference. It is also a good way to preserve the body of knowledge that we have built (as a community) around the X.

I also feel, if you are not PROUD enough to identify yourself, then you need to stay home... Like any good lawyer, everyone should be able to SUPPORT their documentation and /or make themselves available for clarification. If you feel that this will somehow limit those that contribute, it is my feeling that we don't need contributions that cannot be substantiated or supported, or even if its (God forbid...) just an "opinion", we should at least know who's opinion it is. In other words, all contributions should be signed and dated.

Yep, fair point. I wasn't pushing the anonymous aspect to protect authors but more to facilitate additions. I've activated the login mechanism now, so you can set up an account and your modifications will be marked with your name. You can also add your name to any content that you post directly. Certainly no problems there. Some of the data that I copied across from the X web 1 FAQ is your stuff anyway Tony, so I'll let you sign that!

The bottom like is that I think that an X wiki could be a really useful tool for the community. It certainly doesn't replace anything that we already have, it just adds a new perspective.

Cheers,
Dom.

Thanks for the addition, there is already a "Performance" section under the "Engine" section and we can certainly add one under "Suspension" as well.

The main page should typically just list the main categories, and then from there you drill down into the specifics, i.e. Engine -> Performance.

Dom.
I disagree,

From a webdesign/admin viewpoint, I see performance as its own index of items, rather then having it part of other sections.

I say this because someone looking for performance parts and information will want information about all types of performance parts. Where as someone just looking for general information might not car about performance at all. So if the point is to make information quick and easy to find, it would be best to have a high demand topic like performance have its own main category.

Not only this, but it will reduce your bandwidth usage slightly by cutting out unneeded page uploads to get into the performance categories.

What About "Best of X web"

There is a LOT of info there, maybe more that over to Wiki or at least link to it.

Over time, this could turn into an web based service manual and performance manual that is updated, authored by folks on X web or else where with photos, diagrams, written instructions en all.

I have no idea or ever tried to post stuff on Wiki, how does one use this Wiki thing?

What Abec said

He said what I should have said earlier. Someone looking for general engine information, like what oil filter part number to use, is going to be different from someone wanting specs and timing information on a high performance camshaft.

To put it simply: One is everyday and mundane. One is quite specialized and unto itself.

He said what I should have said earlier. Someone looking for general engine information, like what oil filter part number to use, is going to be different from someone wanting specs and timing information on a high performance camshaft.

To put it simply: One is everyday and mundane. One is quite specialized and unto itself.

Yep. Plus performance is a big attractor to people who are only interested in the car. Many of new buyers will want to know what kind of performance can be had from an X1/9 but wont spend hours looking for it. Putting it right there on the front page will make it that much easier for people looking for it.

I feel like I am in both threads being to negative, lol. I only point these things out because I do care, and I want it to be as successful as it can be.

Ahhh, aren't we all forgetting our manners?

What do we say when someone does something nice for us?

THANK YOU DOM. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU.:thumbsup:

Best of...

There is a LOT of info there, maybe more that over to Wiki or at least link to it.

Over time, this could turn into an web based service manual and performance manual that is updated, authored by folks on X web or else where with photos, diagrams, written instructions en all.

I have no idea or ever tried to post stuff on Wiki, how does one use this Wiki thing?

Yep, I'm certainly trying to bring the content across. The advantage of replicating it (rather than linking) is that the Wiki allows some more structured formatting and representation.

The Wiki is really easy to use. Just navigate to a page and click on the edit button. There is an editor which allows you to format your post, or you can read the instructions here.

I'll look forward to seeing some contributions!

Cheers,
Dom.

Yes, thank you. A stand alone wiki containing useable information derived from actual owner experiences is like gold. You are maintaining the sanity of many owners who otherwise would be surfing the whole web in an attempt to piece together the information for that how-to article they saw a year or two ago.

Just a couple of examples that just popped into my head in the last few seconds:

1) the relay headlight modification
2) the LED conversion for the fiberoptic cable
3) Mr. Brown's very cool dashboard redesign
4) homemade coil over kit (author unknown)

This wiki is a great idea, and

thank you Dom for a nixce job.
To support Tony's line I propose that we keep asking our silly questions over and again' if only to get specific anwers and many suggestions.
A wiki is a general source of info. Personal questions are a real guide.
Am I clear at all?

Hi Guys

I've been in semiretirement/hiatus/off for some time now, but last I heard was that Xweb as a group was still going to be setting up a Mediawiki-(think wikipedia)-based wiki linked into the forum system...

(I will say last I heard this had hit a tech snag however in that we sadly had conflicting server issues to resolve, and since I've been out I assume still do...? ;))

In fact the wiki idea had been floated a number of times, before that by JaMeS and prior by others here as well. Not to diminish what Dom has set up in any way, it looks good, but there are as some have said pros and cons to both/any "info delivery format" on the web, be it wiki or forum or live chat or blogs or whatever, they/we are all sort of different animals coexisting on similar content...

Some of the technical as well as content considerations to our own stalled in-house wiki implementation that were on the table last time we discussed all this were outlined briefly here http://xwebforums.org/showpost.php?p=8368&postcount=3

I complement Dom for setting one up live (I am not familiar offhand with 'dokuwiki' though?), but it also does present new questions as to our previous plan. Mainly now I am wondering, in light of this new development, should we be continuing on the path we were on toward developing one on Mediawiki linked to vb? Or if there were more than one should we be planning/proposing to combine them at some future point? Or have Xweb just link off to external wikis from a "Best of Xweb 2.0" style link setup instead of having one hosted local to the forum server at all?

I have no personal preference on any final configuration of it all as long as there is some general sense of connectedness, logic, continuity and usability to it overall from a user perspective, eg: it works, and the wiki itself would be viable/maintained as a platform and repository long term, if it is going to be a standalone website apart from the core forum system, that is...

Thoughts? Comments?

If you will post them,

I will email all of them to you in MSWord format or as a PDF.
State your preference and I'll make it so.
(don't forget to contact me privately and tell me your email!)

Wiki - Thoughts? Comments?

Mac asks:
Thoughts? Comments?

If we can work out answers to the basic operational questions, such as:
  • Who pays?
  • Who admins when Dom isn't around?
  • How stable/reliable is the host?
  • Whose efforts will keep this wiki alive five years from now? Fifteen?
  • Running something like this is a BIG job. Are we in it for the long haul?
I'd say we should just run with what Dom has set up. I've raised a few of these questions offline with Dom, and he has sensible answers, but I'll let him speak for himself.:2c:

technical consideration

At the particular moment there is only one thing I spotted that gave me a ?

It says docuwiki does not use a database

In our proposed future implementation of mediawiki it most definitely would be using a database

Unless I am missing something this might be a consideration worth looking over before deciding on what platform to ultimately proceed, as I imagine doing data migration from one to another wiki system probably is (I suspect) an undesirable proposition best to be avoided up front if practical...

just random thoughts

Back