Another big brake thread

Andy, excellent information - thanks.

We have found that the Uno Turbo brakes are pretty much not available in the US any more. I wonder if the Punto brakes are more available, due to being a newer model and possibly more common?

Those rear Alfa calipers are the same Girlings as VW used on some models of that era. The VW ones have the same mounting pattern and piston options you describe. And the front VW calipers (same era) also use that mounting pattern. Here a picture of a simple "test fit" adapter bracket I made to put a VW front caliper on the X1/9 (the rears would be the same). Note how it looks just like the one you pictured.

049.JPG

Great infos Andy, Punto share brakes as Andy said with many other Alfa Romeo, Fiats and Lancia. It was not been story as Uno Turbo, that have specific brakes only this model...

It was not been story as Uno Turbo, that have specific brakes only this model...
That's good, they might be more available to find. Although we never got the Punto, so they will still need to be imported. But if they are easier to find then the price shouldn't be as much as the rarer Uno Turbo ones have become.

Thas is an interesting option, but only for those who are willing to switch to 15" wheels, which is not my case. Also, each time you will need rotors, you will have to order overseas (I mean, for Norrand pay a premium on shipping. I tend to favor the "soon-to-be-confirm" option of our TonyK with the 500 brake option, which will be available in North America.

But again, thanks for sharing, it may serve some of us!

Last edited by a moderator:
Did the modern 500 in its early EU iteration before the US version, come with 48mm front caliper pistons? I seem to recall this being the case. 54mm pistoned front calipers are frankly too large for an X from a balance perspective.

Last edited:
It is my understanding the "New" 500's sold in the US have a different spec brakes than those for Europe and much of the world. I do not recall if that applies only to the Abarth spec or all 500's. Unfortunately I do not have any details on exactly what is different, just that they are. I'm sure if a online search is done it will provide more details.

Unless of course you can completely redesign the entire braking system, 54mm pistoned calipers are too large and move the brake bias too much toward the front.

Better? :)

Hi,
Over the weekend I got together some brake upgrade components that you may find interesting.

Front first.

Left to right
Standard 227mm disc with 48mm caliper, uno turbo 240mm vented disc and 48mm caliper, Punto GT 257mm vented disc and 54mm caliper.

View attachment 22135

These are all bolt on 100mm between fixing bolts however the Punto caliper will need approx 5-6mm spacer between the carrier and the hub.
View attachment 22136

The Punto Gt calipers can also be found on Alfa 155, 147, 156 I think.

Rear next,

On the left a standard 227 disc and fiat 132 38mm caliper, on the right an Alfa 146 solid 257 mm disc and Alfa 164 38mm rear caliper.
The Alfa caliper has 90mm bolt spacing and so needs an adapter to be made to match the 100mm hub fitting. This is 8mm thick.
The calipers are available with 34,36 and 38mm pistons.
View attachment 22137

The Alfa 164 is a leading caliper so the hand brake mechanism is around the correct way for the x1/9.

I am working on this setup for the rear of my car. It's not complete yet but it's look good at the moment.

The 257mm discs will require minimum 14" wheels.

BTW the largest standard discs available with 4x98 bolt spacing is 305mm diameter from a Fiat Coupe 20v Turbo. These also came with Brembo calipers. These will require 16" wheels.

Cheers
Andy

did you already fit the front punto calipers? i bought a set and im curious about how to fit them with the spacers etc.

Hi,
I can't fit the calipers at the moment as I'm running 13" wheels. When I move over to my 14" campagnolos I'll fit them then.
I had some time last weekend so I took some photos.
I trial fitted the calipers with some Tarox Punto GT discs. I packed out the gap between hub and the caliper with washers to gauge the required spacers that would be needed.
Ideally you need the gaps either side of the pad carrier to be equal to the disc.

Caliper carrier offset.jpg

These three washers measure ..

20190915_170045.jpg

I would say a spacer of 6.5 mm would make the gaps about equal.

The bolts will need to be longer. I would say about 10mm longer. I doesn't matter if they are too long as the excess will be within the top hat part of the disc. You will have to measure for yourself.
Do NOT use washers as a final solution, I used them just to mock up the setup. Have some spacers made from steel.

Hope this helps
Andy

Nice job Andy. Do you have any part numbers for the various calipers and rotors you are using? Thanks for keeping the project going (I've diverted my attention to engine work, so no brake development lately).

Back