Another hill climb X powered by angry bees

Interesting engine choice. I would love to have seen the engineering behind this, or better yet the reason why. I believe you can make 280 from a normal 2l twin cam already.

Gianluca Ticci and his Fiat X1/9 1300 compete in the E2-SH 2000 class of European hillclimb. The 690 kg (1521 lb) race car is powered by a naturally aspirated 2.0 L inline-four making 280 horsepower. Andrea Vescovi built the motor using a Fiat block and Ferrari head. Hillclimb Monsters speculates the head comes from a Ferrari 308 V8 or similar model. Watch Gianluca’s run on Alpe del Nevegal in Italy from last year.

I can only imagine what would be needed in order to make such a head work on the SOHC block. Certainly seems like a huge amount of effort and cost for a result that could be easily achieved with a different engine as @fastx19 said. But maybe there are some sort of racing class rules involved here that require the original block?

That's something front engine. Would love to see pictures of the Ferrari head swap.
Front power train..
Not the first time an alternative cylinder head was put on the Lampredi SOHC block, this goes back to the Dallara x1/9 circa 1970's.
Also telling of how good the basic Lampredi engine design is.

Ferrari does not have magical ownership over proper cylinder head design, Nature and Physics fixes and makes all the rules all must follow. Simply have a look at performance Japanese motorcycle engine cylinder heads and many others. Essentially the modern vintage Dino juice cylinder head has distilled into the four valve pent roof design typically with a domed down piston to promote proper flame propagation, or why pop up pistons died out as far less desirable. Yet the four valve pent roof combustion chamber was used on the Rolls Royce Merlin aero engine circa WW-II.. It's not new by any means, just modern demands for burn, power, durability and all that coupled with modern cnc production methods selected that combustion chamber shape as the one to use..

There was a time when getting the most power from vintage Dino juice fueled engines/motors were a development effort frontier (with moto brands tooting their "innovations" as marketing foils), that era and time has long past decades ago..

Bernice

Does this look like an X19 engine bay? from Andrea Vecovi's instagram page

SteveC
Steve, I was all over this picture as well until I saw the radiator at the bottom. Sure looked like it for a few, then a bit further down there is a picture with I think the same engine and a reference to a Renault build.

It would be interesting to see as well I feel it is at the side alone with the sand casted heads for the original dallara twin cam car. Cool, but technology and what is available today is outpacing it.

@carl You are correct, you can see his fingers moving and he never reaches down...

The next question is did he build that out of an X gearbox or did he take off a modern dual clutch car and make it fit...

Super interesting car....

@carl You are correct, you can see his fingers moving and he never reaches down...

The next question is did he build that out of an X gearbox or did he take off a modern dual clutch car and make it fit...

Super interesting car....
I'm sure it has to be a different box. ;)

Back