another issue

anders

True Classic
Ok, the headlights go up and down but don't come on...also the courtesy lights work when you press the switch, but not when you open the doors- neither does the key chime...humm...

My door switch, the one that triggers the chime and the courtesy light is quite flakey, works when it wants. I just reconnected the "key in ignition when door open" chime, it is so cute, little bells going off, love it. At the moment, EVERYTHING works on mine, which is a bit weird.
Headlights not coming on could be in the switch, you've checked fuses?
This might help, Karl has posted a link to the same document but much smaller, this one is 64mb.
In my case, the PO had rigged some extra switches to disable the pod motors, to allow for running lights with pods down. Took me forever to figure out why everything seemed fine but pods wouldn't work, went so far as to pull the motors and go after the diodes. All the time all I had to do was throw a pair of PO added rocker switches. You'll get it sorted and have X nirvana soon.

Try this...

The headlights get power through the ignition switch as well as the headlight switch, either could be faulty.

Test your ignition switch wires, the blue and black should see power with the key on. The blue wire powers the pods, the black wire powers the lights. I had a similar problem and ended up "rebuilding" my ignition switch:
http://www.network54.com/Forum/12159/message/1149194698/Ignition+switch+rebuild+(photos)

The courtesy lights are grounded via the door jamb switch, which can get corroded and otherwise not make a good connection, this also grounds the door/key chime.

Check that your fuses are all in correctly. The fuse for my headlights has been replaced with a standard bus fuse so it doesn't seat in like the proper fuse. From time to time I have the same symptoms where my my lights come up but not on. I readjust the fuse and it works instantly.. Give it a try. BTW you key needs to be in the on position for the lights to come on.

Back