Another K20 from Midwest Bayless

Some of the folks out on Cali have probably already seen this car, but here are some pix of a 78 street-legal track-day car that we converted to K20 driveline, with the Hondata ECU. Dyno'd at 238hp with a 1765 lb chassis - 7.4lbs/HP! Because it was a track car we had the luxury of chopping the rear cross member, and clearing out some other obstacles, but this is essentially the same kind of install that we did in the green car a while back.

Enjoy!

-M

Mulholland Drive - [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jy50rbSz7ZY"]YouTube- in car[/ame]
Chasing a Ferarri - [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-_dVRFk31k"]YouTube- partonechase[/ame]
Willow Springs - [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9Qw9wIzBC8"]YouTube- lap[/ame]

Pix:

cn-6.jpg

cn-2.jpg

cn-3.jpg

cn-4.jpg

cn-7.jpg

cn-9.jpg

Played on that road before in my ol GTI. I have also seen that car at a few Fiat meets a while back, not with that motor of course. Looks like lots a fun.

I love it!

Thanks for posting in-car vids Matt!

But I think my fast-forward button is stuck...

That is so cool...

...just a few weeks ago it was sitting here in Columbus, OH on a lift...now it's running down F-cars over 2000 miles away. That is a sweet video and a really great-looking mountain road!

very nice. When were those videos on Mulholland taken? And that other road looks like Stunt road in Malibu ....I have driven those roads a bunch in many different cars.. Including that Ferrari I used to own. Fun times.. I will have to go up there this fall and take some video with my Dallara once she is reliable and road worthy.... Thanks for sharing those..:italia:

That's Christian's car!!!

HA!

I wanna know where he gets this car "smogged"... and I've always loved his judicious use of rivets!

Great work!

Sounds great. That Ferrari needs to learn a bit about lane discipline. I would love to see it running up Angeles Crest, miss that run with my X.

Nice work.

Ha!

...That was the cars' owner driving it in Cali...and no...NOT Marnie....SHE would've been yelling FASTER...catch that F-car...FASTER....not...CAREFUL....SLOW DOWN!!!!

Last edited:
that honda donk sounds real good! hmmm makes me want to abandon the 4age and start on a honda conversion...........

parts is parts

I'm curious, where does the Honda drivetrain end? And where does it get integrated with Fiat parts, if at all? Shafts, etc.

Weight and handling

The engine integrates wonderfully into the X19 chassis. The difference in drivetrain weight is a mere 50lbs from the stock X19 driveline. Yes, 50lbs.

This car that we just finished weighed 1765 lbs. We added 135 lbs for set-up to the driver seat and here's what the scales looked like:

christian-setup.jpg

I can tell you that I'm sure this car would be a handful with a stock suspension set-up. This one as well has G-force coil-overs with 450lb springs at all four corners and an Addco front bar. It has stock brakes though with Porterfield R4 race pads which are awesome even on the street.

As for where the conversion starts and ends, the Acura engine and trans are hung in the car with completely custom mounts. The suspension stays all Fiat, with custom axles adapting the Acura inner splines to a 5-Spd Fiat CV. Shifter assembly and instrument cluster have to be replaced.

If you're starting with a carb car the fuel tank needs to be replaced. If you're starting with a 78 or earlier car, the uprights need to be swapped out to 79 or later (5-Spd style).

-Matt

Thanks Matt

Great information on that conversion. Hope to win the lottery some day :). Oh, the instrument cluster...didn't think about that.

instrument cluster

I cheated on the conversion I am doing. I bought 2 displays tunerviewII. I am planing on putting them into a modified X dash.

Odie

Matt,
Thanks for sharing. I am currently going through a B20vtec Frankenstien that I am planning on swapping into my Dallara wannabe this winter. If all goes well perhaps I'll have some vids and pics to show off.

I have decided that the built 1500 with EFI and B3 cam and BV head at 11.1:1 comp is a good setup..... IF i just keep it a autox car. But I personally feel at this point that my car has the amount of power that is SHOULD have had from the factory. NOW its fun to drive and not totally gutless..... it's just ok.
So I'm saying all this because My 1500 will probably be up for sale with the megasquirt unit when this is all done. (i will be using the megasquirt II on the B20)

I want some REAL power for the 2.3 mile road course that I go and play on. And I think that this B-series is the answer..... if not..... my trunk is already gone AND I have a jackson racing supercharger for it. :headbang:

Back