Another oil light thread

Eastep

True Classic
While Ive read the other thread and have some ideas now as to possibilities, my light was never on before the Yugo head swap. The new head doesnt have any sensor ports like the old 1300. For instance my temp needle is pegged in red and when the engine is checked with an IR thermometer it only reads 155* :mallet: since the swap Ive notice an oil leak/spray from some where but can't find the source. I would like to pull the distributor and check that its driving the oil pump but I'm not great with timing and don;t wanna mess it up. I have a new after market oil gauge I'd like to install, but I don't know how or where. To be honest I really don't know what I'm doing with any of this. Help please

PS: the oil light also comes on when the key is turned "on' and the engine is not running.

So what does the light do with the key on and engine running? There is no oil pressure with the engine not running so I would say so far so good.

Edit: Are you saying it's also on with the engine running? It kinda sounded that way the second time I read it.

yes it was on when the engine was running. I got back and checked the oil and it was lil low so I added some and messed with a couple loose wires and the light is off now. It can't be that simple is it? Worse don't tell me I wasted thread space on the site if it was. :mallet::mallet: I'll drive it tomorrow and report back. I still need to know how/where to install the oil gauge

The oil light grounds through the oil pressure switch when oil pressure is low. A loose wire should not cause the light to come on. In order to install a oil pressure gauge you need to install an adapter where oil pressure switch goes that will accept an oil pressure sensor and the oil pressure switch. I think some of the usual vendors sell the part you need.

Thanks. So you think it might have just been a lil low and triggered the light? The car never burned oil or any leaks etc before the build/storage for 5 months so Ive never seen it on and was worried.

You would have to be 3+ quarts low to turn the light on at idle. It is possible a loose wire was the issue but only if the wire to the pressure switch was touching ground somewhere. Low oil could cause the light to come on while cornering hard.

To find the oil leak,,

throw flour all over the area till its dry. Then go for a short drive and see where it shows wet again. The faster the leak the shorter the drive. Someone mentioned some other product also but I forget what it is. I used flour many years ago and worked great.

Flour always works to find the wet spot :p Anyway The oil light was not on while just idling..I don't recall it on anyway. It was on only after I drove the car down the road to spray off some dust. I am about to leave to have the exhaust put on, so If you don't see a post on here by around noon then I am probably having a very bad and expensive day :mad2:

Last edited:
Maiden voyage debreif

Well praise to the good lord I drove the car over 100 miles on its maiden voyage, and I believe it went without any issue. The temp gauge is still pegged at over 260* and the oil light is still on. I think/hope the oil light is on due to the lack of sensors on the new Yugo head. The new head has only 1 sensor port and one on the block itself. I did find the oil leak, its coming from a bold above/behind (read PITA to reach) behind the large crank pulley. I tried to tighten it but failed without delay :doh: Since the temp gauge isn't helping me, I've been shooting the block,head,intake exhaust and carb with an IR thermometer and after this past hr drive the head was like 160's the carb was 140's ,header was 520's and the block was 170's. Man I hope these are okay. The new exhaust is on, and I'm not sure if its because of the relatively small diameter of the exits, but there's a slight whirring/whistle (like the car is supercharged ). The stumble at WOT is still there and noticeable at around 2500 and 4-4200. Here's some pics of the exhaust installation.
DSC03120.jpg

DSC03122.jpg

DSC03125.jpg

DSC03127.jpg

DSC03129.jpg

DSC03131.jpg

If it were me...

I'd be checking to make sure I didn't have the temp sensor and oil pressure switch wires swapped.

The oil pressure switch should be in the block, the temp sensor should be in the head.

I hope this helps!

Thanks guys, I wouldn't have thunk that one :mallet: Its raining today, so that will have to wait until it either lets up or dries off :p

Back