Another Option for LED headlights ?

I was reading an article earlier this year that said til now LED used for cars were designed for other purposes and fitted into car applications. Early this year was the first release of LEDs designed by the emitter manufacture specially for automotive applications. This is suppose to provide a jump forward in head light LED applications.
At this years AAPEX show I was talking with one of the Hella engineers.

I asked what the latest developments are in headlighting, is LED still the direction they are going or something else. He said still LED but in a new approach. The lighting system incorporates a number of diodes of various sizes, locations, powers, etc and they are all driven by circuitry that is tied into the car's main computers. That way the headlights automatically react to a bunch of variables like speed, road conditions, weather, traffic ahead and oncoming, ambient light levels, etc. Very sophisticated technology to adapt the headlight out put in terms of intensity, direction, quantity, quality, etc. And all of it is automatic; no more "high and low beams" or even headlight switches. They had a sample unit from a Mercedes currently under development on display...very high tech looking and nothing like we might imagine a headlight to be.

On an angular, futuristic car like the X1/9 I kind of like them.

Also on cars with concealed headlights, you will almost never see the lights during daylight hours.
That's like me getting a tattoo on my ass. Most of the time people won't see it. haha.

But what mamma don't know won't hurt her.

At this years AAPEX show I was talking with one of the Hella engineers.

I asked what the latest developments are in headlighting, is LED still the direction they are going or something else. He said still LED but in a new approach. The lighting system incorporates a number of diodes of various sizes, locations, powers, etc and they are all driven by circuitry that is tied into the car's main computers. That way the headlights automatically react to a bunch of variables like speed, road conditions, weather, traffic ahead and oncoming, ambient light levels, etc. Very sophisticated technology to adapt the headlight out put in terms of intensity, direction, quantity, quality, etc. And all of it is automatic; no more "high and low beams" or even headlight switches. They had a sample unit from a Mercedes currently under development on display...very high tech looking and nothing like we might imagine a headlight to be.
Another new head light alternative is lasers, BMW and other German manufacture have build porotype that far outperform any other type of headlights.

Another new head light alternative is lasers
Bond: "Do you expect me to talk?"
Goldfinger: "Why no Mr. Bond, I expect you to die."

10638528-3x2-940x627.jpg

Another new head light alternative is lasers, BMW and other German manufacture have build porotype that far outperform any other type of headlights.

As mentioned in the linked article there are aftermarket lights that combine laser and LED diodes. However like they said, they are not the same level of design as the vehicle manufacturers are engineering.

Sold my X to son in law this week so he wouldn't spend his money on buying some strangers problem car. He immediately ordered the MWB led lights ( to replace perfectly good Hella H4's???)

Not really impressed by them at all, high and low beams are backward now, need to have switch on high to get low beam, and had to adjust them down so far the adjusting screw popped out of the headlight bucket, needed to disassemble and re attach. Fully down and still too high, bright as hell, but an unfocused mess compared to the clean focus and cutoff on the Hellas, in my opinion.
Appear to be generic Chinese led modules in generic H4 housings, nothing you can't get on ebay or Amazon.
His car now, I'm just the tech advisor, but I'll be sure to get my H4's back if he decides not to return the LEDs.

had to adjust them down so far the adjusting screw popped out of the headlight bucket
Assuming you mean the headlight adjusting screw on the trim ring, where the actual headlight mounts. You can also adjust the raised resting height of the whole headlight bucket (pop-up lid) relative to the body. By allowing the bucket to sit higher, the headlight itself will be aimed up more. Then do the fine adjustment on the trim ring.

Back