Another race project.

fastx19

Administrator
This one is being put together with the idea of setting hillclimb records in the NorthWest. Enjoy.

DSCF2004.jpg

DSCF1992.jpg

DSCF2000.jpg

I and my partner, Charles, should have it painted in a couple of weeks. I will take pictures again after the paint job. The car is also to high right now, it will be about another inch or so lower when I finally finish it.

No flames over the engine choice... not my first pick, but it was what was in the car so when in Rome.... 180hp or so in the current form, no porting or anything to it.

Eric Armstrong

Last edited by a moderator:
No Flames here

Dude, where did this come from? Looks like a neat car.

With all of the talk about swaps here, I don't see any reason to fear flames over the rotary. Is that a 13B? Can't quite see it well enough. It is a standard port motor though. Better torque that way. Strap a Racing Beat supercharger kit to it and make 200+ lbs/ft of torque. :shock:

Should be fun.

Is Racing Beat still around???????

Wow!

My first car ever was a blue RX-3 wagon (!!), and I put a Racing Beat intake kit on it, which was a custom cast aluminum intake manifold set up to take a small Holley double pumper 4-bbl carb (edit: they still have this kit!! http://www.racingbeat.com/resultset.asp?partnumber=18009).

The car had pretty good zip before the mod, and it really flew afterwards. Put Addco sway bars on it and Uniroyal Rallye 240 radial tires on turbine cast mags that had about a million fins on it, too. Were they a bitch to polish!! :lol:

PS---Steve-o, pls click here: http://xwebforums.com/forum/index.php?threads/2955/

Flames over choosing a Mazda rotary, NOT! This is one of the better engines to power an X1/9. Proven power and reliable.

Oh, there is a tri-rotor version that was sold in the Japan domestic market and they do show up every so often. It's just a bit longer and a whole lot more powerful, while the twin rotor is like a 6 cylinder that tri-rotor is closer to a 12 cylinder.

No flames over the engine choice... not my first pick, but it was what was in the car so when in Rome.... 180hp or so in the current form, no porting or anything to it.

Eric Armstrong

I don't remember Mazda putting its Rotary in any FWD cars (just RX 2, 3, 4 & Cosmo in the 70s and early 80s, and then just the RX 7 and 8 thereafter, which were all RWD), so just wondering about the hookup of the engine to the trans with a custom adapter or bell housing, and what trans they used to build this car?\

Also looks like they got smart and relocated the oil filter (probably on a remote setup). Jeez, I remember the Freakin' Mess :mad2::mad4: I would make changing oil filters, that damned thing was on a perch above the engine :guns: with the opening facing down....even punching holes in it with a nail wouldn't get all the oil out and it would end up all over the top of the motor regardless of how many rags I would use! :drink:

Remember the see-thru Rotary Model ?

I built one of these when I was about 10, had a little motor in it that switched on with the shifter, and turned the rotors, with tiny little lights for spark plugs, that was cool.

If mazda could just figure out how to increase the the mpg with the current generation I could actually purchase an rx8 one as a daily driver !

Jeff

Glad to see it finally been finished!!!.......

After having read about it here yrs ago,right?...Eric,it would be nice if you can tell the story behind it again to refresh our memories.
Looks very clean and neat.No rocket science here.What colors are you guys choosing for it?...........:excited:

Would love more details too.

Rather curious about the starter motor setup actually.... I've always wanted to go to a 12A in my wheels, but getting technical info from someone who has done it before (or owns one someone else has done) would be helpful.

Could you share some info regarding the mounts? Custom? etc.

And any info about the trans adapter? Once again any specs that someone could copy? or all custom?

Trans shift linkage info?

I have been telling myself I am going to do a rotary x for years. I have the rotary parts and I actually have access to pontian g6 transaxles, which a lot of fiero v8 guys are upgrading to. You may wish to consider the same.

Any other info would be really appreciated.

Hi.

I will share whatever you would like to know. Let me get some better pictures for you on the mounts.

In short, it is all hard mounted.

I also know of another Rotary X in the NY area which uses a porche transaxle connect to a 13b engine with a turbo.

Stay tuned for pictures later.

Eric

I will share whatever you would like to know. Let me get some better pictures for you on the mounts.

In short, it is all hard mounted.

I also know of another Rotary X in the NY area which uses a porche transaxle connect to a 13b engine with a turbo.

Stay tuned for pictures later.

Eric

That would be great. I have actually tried to contact the person in NY a few times without any luck. I am in Toronto, which is in a neighbouring province. I would have loved to have gone to see his car.

If only Eugene was closer. :sad:

If you need any information about the rotary let me know as I am on my 7th rx7 myself. Years of rotary owning pleasure and pain at your service. Below is a pic of my current 7 and its engine bay.

sideviewmain.jpg

enginenewsetup.jpg

We are getting close.

We should have it running on Friday, and it's first autocross on Sunday.

The first hillcimb will be in three weeks. Yikes, time is fleeting.

I will get more pictures posted soon.

Eric

Back