Another wheel bearing thread

EricH

Eric Hamilton
I'm busy redoing the wheel bearings at all four corners of one of my '74s... No problems taking stuff apart, pressing the old bearings out, pressing the new ones in, and pressing in the hubs...

I've been able to buy the rubber seals (two per wheel) from Matt, but I can't find these metal dust shields:
CIMG0758.jpg

The rear wheels use the one on the right to hold the rubber seal on the inside (CV joint side) of the upright. The front wheels use one of each. I can reuse the ones that I have, but they're pretty ratty and mangled, and I was hoping to be source them from somewhere. I can't find them at Matt's or Chris's storefront, and I can't find them at McMaster-Carr (although that may be because I'm not searching the right way). Any thoughts as to where I can find them?

Hey thanks - good catch on Monte Hospital - I had not realized that the Scorpion front wheel bearing is right for all four corners of the 1300 X, so hadn't been fishing for Lancia parts.

Of course the fact that MH had to fabricate their own and can charge 23 pounds for them suggests that I'm not going to find any easy local cheap answers.... I will be WAAAY more careful tearing apart :hammer: core hubs in the future... and cleaning up the dust shields that I have is looking better all the time. :mallet:

Eurosport looks like 1500 stuff (except for the rubber v-seals, which I've already scored from Matt).

That plate is not that bad, it can be straightened and re-used. It is part of the seal system. Some folks do not re-install these when wheel bearings are replaced, not a good idea.

Wheel bearing parts goes both ways.

Series one MonteCarlo & Scorpion has the same front wheel bearings assembly as the pre-1500cc x1/9.

One of the upgrades for the front uprights on the series one MonteCarlo is to use 1500cc x1/9 uprights, except for the slight change in ackerman and running the steering ball joint rods to near the end of their adjustment, it is a direct swap.

The rear uprights and wheel bearings are identical to 1500cc x1/9... or where the 1500cc x1/9 got the revised rear uprights and wheel bearings from.

Rear lower A arms are the same except for the anti-roll bar mounts. Even the bushings are the same..

Or why some x1/9 parts can be sourced from Monte Hospital in the UK.

There are more similar bits between these two cars..

Bernice

Hey thanks - good catch on Monte Hospital - I had not realized that the Scorpion front wheel bearing is right for all four corners of the 1300 X, so hadn't been fishing for Lancia parts.

Of course the fact that MH had to fabricate their own and can charge 23 pounds for them suggests that I'm not going to find any easy local cheap answers.... I will be WAAAY more careful tearing apart :hammer: core hubs in the future... and cleaning up the dust shields that I have is looking better all the time. :mallet:

Eurosport looks like 1500 stuff (except for the rubber v-seals, which I've already scored from Matt).

That plate is not that bad, it can be straightened and re-used.

Yep, that's my plan.

(It turns out that this cheapie SAE socket that I bought at Wal-Mart for god only knows what reason, god only knows how many years ago, has an outer diameter that is just a microskosh less than the inner diameter of the lip on on the backside of the hub... So once the bearing is out, I can drop that socket into the threaded end of the hub, tap it with a hammer... And out pops the plate, totally unmangled... From now on out, I'll be saving these plates from every scrap hub I come across, before I turn them over to my wife to make yard art out of them)

Back