Any Experience with Transport Companies?

RicB

True Classic
Hi - It seems that many of the cars I'm looking at are kinda far away and so I might need the service of a car transport company to get it to me in Colorado. Anyone have a recommendation? Thanks.

Hi there.
Last fall I used Angels Moving Autos brokers (yeah, I know, I thought the name was kind of cheesy, but I read good reviews of their service) to bring my X1/9 from Pine Grove (Stockton area) California to Dayton Ohio.
My price was $1225, more than I paid for the car, but I lucked out with a covered hauler and a professional and courteous driver (Thanks McKim.) The brokerage company called frequently with info and updates and finalizing the arrangements. All I can say is, it was worth it to me; no plane ticket, no driving, no taking time off work, no exhaustion. Of course, there was no inspecting an E-Bay purchased car in person, so that is a risk. Look on the internet and see what reviews you can find and get some price quotes from different brokers.
We arranged for the driver to deliver the car ten minutes from my house, to a strip mall parking lot where it would be easy for him to turn around. (A muscle-car collector friend of ours was visiting at the time, and witnessed the process. Mine was the last car left on the big long truck, and he seemed amazed at the teeny wedge on wheels being slid out the back.)
Result? One rust-free Fiat delivered into my greedy little hands. :p

Yeah

I used Red Carpet Auto Transport to get my X from Minnesota to Dallas/Ft Worth, TX. Cost me around $700-750. Had the car delivered in 2 days. Wasn't a covered carrier, but the weather was pretty nice at that time. Car made it in great condition, no dings etc. The driver delivered it right next door to my apartment :) Here's the link if you want to get a quote: https://www.redcarpetautotransport.com/Home_Page.html

Brian

Had an X moved...

...about 4 years ago... used an outfit called Road Runner Auto Carriers. Cost about 800 bucks for a 2000 mile move. Car arrived without incident. Be aware however, that most shippers you contact are simply brokers. They get the jobs and then find the driver/truck. You will have little control over who is actually moving your car. Also be aware, that your car may not take a straight path to its destination... The driver will be picking up and dropping off other stuff along the way... Good luck...

Absolutely right

Jim's correct. My carrier posted my requirement on some sort of drivers board and any drivers coming this way that would accept the listed price could take the job. Mine came in a straight shot though (lucky me). It turned out pretty well.

There's a guy on the Scorpion list...

Named Bob Sorrentino. He transports Scorpions and parts around as a secondary thing (his primary thing is transporting fine art around between museums, collectors and such). You may have to wait a month or two til he has a trip near where you need, but he is the person doing the actual moving and his rates are very reasonable, I talked to him about moving my sons car from TX to VA, about 1800 miles, he quoted $500. He uses an enclosed trailer behind a large Dodge Sprint van.

You can contact him at itransport4u.com

Pete

I used DAS to get my 78 from CA to MO

back in 2003. I think it was around $1.000.00USD. That was for shipping it in an enclosed trailer, picked up at my sister's door in Burbank and dropped at a transport lot about 30 minutes from my home. Took only 4 days, but I believe I just got lucky on that. They did say it could take from 4 to 12 days depending on when the truck fills up and leaves.

http://www.dasautoshippers.com/

"One-to-Go-Two" (or "1-to-Go-2". Period.

Just had an early Bronco shipped from Washington state. These guys are pros. The driver I got, Clint, had plenty of stories about factory desert testing hauls. Ferraris, Audis, Jaguars. etc. Can't go wrong with these guys.

I used DAS years ago to move a car (non-Fiat) from CA to MA

It cost about $800, but was pretty quick and simple. I dropped the car off at a hub about 30 miles from here and the car had to sit around for a few days until other cars arrived or were picked up.

A friend shipped a Lotus Europa from VA to CA about 20 years ago and a chain securing a car above it came loose and put a nice sized divot it the roof of his car. I don't know which company it was he used, but check out the damage clause...

Larry
'79 X1/9
'86 X1/9
'81 Spider 2000

transport

Named Bob Sorrentino. He transports Scorpions and parts around as a secondary thing (his primary thing is transporting fine art around between museums, collectors and such). You may have to wait a month or two til he has a trip near where you need, but he is the person doing the actual moving and his rates are very reasonable, I talked to him about moving my sons car from TX to VA, about 1800 miles, he quoted $500. He uses an enclosed trailer behind a large Dodge Sprint van.

You can contact him at itransport4u.com

Pete

I use Bob for all of my car transport needs for both myself & my clients. He is also great for moving glass, I don't have to crate which means you save $$$
You can't be in a hurry, he is only one guy in a van with a trailer...

Back