Any So-Cal members interested in karting?

wrxdrew

1300cc's of Angry Bees
For awhile there i was spending my lunch breaks at K1 Speed in Irvine. Although K1 has locations throughout the south land. I enjoy karting a lot and its a great way to blow off steam.

So i was thinking it might be fun to have a get together for some karting.

Anybody interested?

Yea I love karting, just to expensive for me to do it to often. I would be down to go though.

Always did...

We useta build them with old lawnmower engines and run them down our neighborhood streets. Instead of folks calling the cops... they'd all line up for their turn at the wheel!

Doodlebugs too!

Now I don't think I'd fit... but what a GREAT IDEA for a get-together... if we could get folks to COMMIT, we could even have a track day event ... and I could re-live it all vicariously through my grand-kids...

Man, we carted way back when I was a kid. We did it ghetto style, no motor. Pulled a big cardboard box out a the dumpster behind the thriftys, snagged a shopping cart for wheels and built the chsis out of wood. then we set out to the steepest hill we could find and shot down until I carts finally couldnt be repaired anymore. Thinking about it now, we were nuts, cars parked on both sides of the street, and you had to swerve into an open driveway or risk shooting acrocss a busy street. Those were the good ol days. I remember once, I swereved into a driveway, just as my front tire fell off again. The nose dug into the ground thrusting me completely into the box body of my lil car as it went end over end about 3 times. I climbed out real slow after that tumble. I would never let my kids do anything as dumb as that.Back then there was no money. If you wanted something you had to make it or go cut a couple lawns to buy it for your self cause mom and dad were both working several jobs to raise 7 kids. These days kids just put thier hand out and expect someone to put something in it.

HAHAHA.... Hey Rey...

My brother, cousin and I decided it would be COOL to build a "wheelstanding" downhill racer... like a slingshot dragster.

We built a chassis out of 2 x 4's with a pointed frontend and a seat just behind the rear axle. Even had a wooden double roll bar... rope steering and brand new Soapbox Derby wheels and tires.

It must have taken us about 3 weeks to build it and I was too fat to fit between the roll bar so my brother was elected the first driver...

We must've walked a mile to our favorite hill, pulling the car all the way, and lined him up. Ten we gave him a big shove down the hill and away he went...

The wheels even lifted for some reason and then we saw the flaw in our design... He couldn't get them down until just before he hit the curb.

They came down just in time to hit and bend the axle backwards!

Now we hadta drag the thing home again holding the front end up all the way.

That was it... one and only run! We didn't have the skill to straighten and reweld the axle...

BTW... have you seen YouTube Videos on the SFVISBF (soapbox racing) that was popular a year ago. They finally killed someone... Haven't heard much since.

I have been wanting to take my son to try karting and this sounds like a great excuse. I can get discounted tickets to K1, $17.95 for 1 race and $43.95 for 3, includes a one year license whatever that means and would be willing to buy a block if that in fact is a good deal.

I posted a thread in the event form. I set a tentative date for March 27th. Post a reply HERE if you can make it.

Last edited:
I have the date down in my planner.

I will have to let you know closer to the event if I can make it. Funny thing, is I have been on my Mercedes Brethern to come out. They spend mucho dollars on mods, but don't want to sort the skills out on the cart track.

Ed

conflict

That March 20th date is the same day the new So Cal FLU group is planning their first drive- a run up Mulholland Dr

He is a Former Go Cart Champion and Jet Ski champion...I shall bring him out of retirement for the event...Muhahahahahahahahaha Prepare to be shamed....:jedi::woot::dance::gong:

Back