Any tips on rear view mirror restoration?

And you didn’t have to shave this one? I’m assuming your spares aren’t foggy with age like my X is?

Could use cleaning of course, but not losing the reflective backing, no

PXL_20201201_202158265.jpg

Yeah - the one I have now is the 3512654 from 850/S70/V70 MY2000 or older - fitsView attachment 39164View attachment 39165View attachment 39166
Aluminum base gets screwed in place, then mirror snaps into that

View attachment 39167 better than the 240 base, same size glass area. If you can't find one locally, I have a couple.
Looks like a good candidate for a X replacement. ;) I know a lot of the German cars from that era had a different type of mounting base that would not work for this application. So having a donor with the basic screw down platform is a nice plus. One win for the Swedes, loss for the Germans. :D

Could use cleaning of course, but not losing the reflective backing, no

View attachment 39168

To fit the Volvo mirror, the aluminum base has to be mounted on the body, then the mirror has a male pin that will snap into the two steel spring bars located inside the base. The base has to be positioned over the stock mounting holes, marked and drilled, with the outer dimples facing the cabin. Car must be taken with drill depth so you don't push through the outer frame by accident, it is a shallow space. I put tape on the drill bit to gauge allowable depth.

The mirror when installed is located/aligned by the dimples and center ridges. Volvo uses M6 screws to retain the base plate, I used short coarse thread ('sheet metal") screws (shown)

PXL_20201202_175649195.jpg
PXL_20201202_175706023.jpg

Excellent demo, thanks. How much difference in seperation spacing width is there between the FIAT mirror holes and the Volvo’s - millimeters? I’ll use the current screw depths as guides, minus 10%. Basically, just breaking through will be enough. And what’s the cats name?

Hello Chris

Sorry, I don't recall the spacing difference - it is enough that the stock holes don't interfere/overlap. I just centered the aluminum plate & used a spring loaded punch to mark the holes.

That is Lily - our oldest girl.

Back