Any Tips to Remove Speedo Cable from Transmission?

BrioPA

Daily Driver
I'm struggling to undo the speedo cable from the transmission on my 1983 X1/9. I can't move it with a good size pair of slip joint pliers, despite multiple soakings with penetrating oil. I don't want to break it and have to replace the whole thing. Am I missing something? Does the hex-head bolt below have to be removed first?

Any input much appreciated!

Attachments

• tempImageCCMOMg.png
    tempImageCCMOMg.png
    3.4 MB · Views: 110
Last edited:
I'm struggling to undo the speedo cable from the transmission. I can't move it with a good size pair of slip joint pliers, despite multiple soakings with penetrating oil. I don't want to break it and have to replace the whole thing. Am I missing something? Does the hex-head bolt below have to be removed first?

Any input much appreciated!
What yr/make/model are you working on?

Does the hex-head bolt below have to be removed first?
No, that bolt only locates the drive unit in place. The cable should "just undo" as you suspect. The drive unit body is steel and possibly rusted/expanded into the alloy nut of the cable. Is the cable a "keeper"? If not, carefully Dremel a slot in the nut to free it. Avoid heat, especially as the drive unit is part plastic and more costly to replace than a cable :eek: I've normally had problems getting the drive unit out of the trans case - you're probably best with it in-place as is though, as that gives a good hold on the unit without damaging it.

Last edited:
Yes, they can stick. Corrosion and rust can make it tough to get the retaining cap off. The retaining cap does screw on. If you can't turn it off with a pair of pliers you can use a flat blade screwdriver and a hammer. Place blade of the screwdriver against the knurls of the cap and try and turn it by driving it gently with the hammer.

If you can't turn it off with a pair of pliers you can use a flat blade screwdriver and a hammer. Place blade of the screwdriver against the knurls of the cap and try and turn it by driving it gently with the hammer.
Thanks, Steve. That was going to be my next approach.

Update: Cable removed, follow a touch of "percussive maintenance". More penetrating fluid, lots of light taps with a hammer on a screwdriver against the knurls to encourage the penetrating oil to get in there and do its stuff, followed by one bigger tap, and it broke free. Now to clean up the transmission....

Thanks for the tips, everyone!

Back