Anyone Cut Shifter ( Done )

Someone definitely was making a short shifter I got this from an eBay user andreavencl I needed to replace the centre bearing as it was too stiff with the original bearing but that was simple enough. It’s a well made short shifter.

View attachment 19181 View attachment 19180
I’m from Canada and cannot seem to get one of these. It looks like the seller mainly sells to the US and the UK. It looks like the seller also makes a shifter with the shift rod at an angle..
It looks like a cast piece but very well made.
Do you find the throws are reduced? How’s the feeling?

The throws definitely reduced, I didn’t use it for long to be honest I was smashing boxes due to the power I was putting out. I went cable shift shortly after purchasing this.

I (finally) finished my short shifter. I mostly wanted to reduce the slop in the shifter, but figured that while I was at it I could shorten the throws. I didn't want to cut the lever above the pivot because I like the position of the knob in relation to the steering wheel.
I removed the plastic end piece from the shifter and replaced it with a piece of machined aluminum, with a sintered bearing pressed in. A stainless steel threaded spacer fits in the bearing.
The stock shifter is 65mm from the pivot ball to the hole for the shift rod. I made my aluminum piece attach to the shifter with set screws so I could change the length, but now that I have driven it I am not going to change the length. I have it set for 85mm from pivot ball to shift rod, and I really like it.

Jim

Attachments

• shift1.jpg
    shift1.jpg
    158.3 KB · Views: 107
  • shift2.jpg
    shift2.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 99
  • shift3.jpg
    shift3.jpg
    226.5 KB · Views: 101
That’s awesome! I just replaced mine with a stock piece as the lower plastic piece on my old one was cracked and held together with a hose clamp. Now that I have it sitting around I think I’ll experiment like you have.
Nice job! Looks great!

Thanks.
It turns out that the set screws were a bad idea. They have come loose after a couple of days and the aluminum end piece is rattling around. I am not interested in changing the length, so I will attach it permanently with JB Weld or something.

Thanks.
It turns out that the set screws were a bad idea. They have come loose after a couple of days and the aluminum end piece is rattling around. I am not interested in changing the length, so I will attach it permanently with JB Weld or something.
What would be trick is to thread the two pieces together so you could change the fulcrum length by rotating the shifter at a stoplight.

Back