Anyone have or used IDF carbs on manifold ?

Hello Mike,

There is a slight problem with my setup at the moment though. When you stand on the throttle at low revs there is a slight delay before the carbs catch up then your off.

Dishy

This is a common complaint with the 124 crowd about IDFs and the solution is using a 0.0 bleedback valve for the accelerator pumps. I'm guessing the stock valve bleeds off too much of the pumped fuel causing a slight leanout. You can use whatever valve you have and just bock it.

Hello Mike,

There is a slight problem with my setup at the moment though. When you stand on the throttle at low revs there is a slight delay before the carbs catch up then your off.

Dishy

I've had a similar issue with my Dellorto DRLAs (a better IDF! ;)). I found you have to make sure there is no freeplay in the accelerator pump actuating shaft.

https://goo.gl/images/2OPDhZ

Once I nipped those up to be just on the verge of being actuated, all hesitation went away.

Cheers,

Rob

Thanks for that Rachel, I thought ive been doing right thing gathering information to make a better informed decision, that's why I asked you personally too as you can confirm , I don't know why he got upset at all ??

Sorry Brad I just got your apology and its fine , you had me confused for a while though, all forgotten about already that's the best thing about poor short term memory haha

Thanks for that Rachel, I thought ive been doing right thing gathering information to make a better informed decision, that's why I asked you personally too as you can confirm , I don't know why he got upset at all ??

Sorry Brad I just got your apology and its fine , you had me confused for a while though, all forgotten about already that's the best thing about poor short term memory haha

Sorry I mistook the two posts as one poster.

To all the posts on IDFs - there is no car, anywhere, that uses them and has perfect running. These are rough carburetors, with very basic tuning features. Even when tuned to perfection they pop and snort. Which is kind of cool in an old sportscar kind of way, but if you are seeking smooth, don't seek out IDFs.

So Rob what made you decide on the DRLA dellorto'S then ? Lying about or cheap ? There has been some money spent on this car it has an ansa exhaust system on it so along with the any of the carbs its bound to help it further. Can anyone who has fitted anything other than standard tell me what influenced them ?

Fair point Brad ! Think that's what dishy was saying also about his being hesitant . Is DCOE/M route to much palaver then ? Repriced DCNF last night Brad £300 for manifold couldn't find a used item , £600-700 for carbs as much as id like to go this route cant justify it .

Dcoe plenty second hand , good source of spares £200-£300 for carbs , £200 for a used manifold , big difference about half.

IS there another carb that can replace DATR direct fit on O.E manifold ??

Hi Carl , I'm sure that's whats fitted to my other resto I have ongoing at the moment during business hours , VW T2 baywindow , no its not mine ! no I'm not a hippy lol !:) and don't surf eithero_O

Its got two IDF fitted and its not the best lets say , not smooth, eats full worse than my Busso too , I thought that was just because engine is sick though. but you guys have obviously had plenty experience with them and know the score . They are cheap but coarse it seems .

My Fiats are toys and a wandering idle, popping and spitting when cold (or jetted too lean) is not a big deal. Dual Webers are loud, obnoxious, give immediate throttle response and look great, just what I want on my Fiats. If it wasn't for the VW aftermarket scene big on IDFs, we would be hurting for parts for our Fiat IDFs. I don't know why Brad hates IDFs, I don't think they are crude compared to DCNFs and in fact I have more problems getting DCNFs to work than IDFs. The 124 crowd all respect Brad, he is highly opinionated but we love him anyway!

DCNF £300 for manifold couldn't find a used item , £600-700 for carbs

manifolds here...http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/FIAT-128...089103?hash=item2ca170dbcf:g:zcsAAOSwZd1VeoOR for 180gbp brand new

DCNF's suit the SOHC engine better than any other twin carb option, the port spacing of the sohc is almost identical to the DCNF throttle bore spacing, so the port is a very straight run, the carb is quite short and fits the bodywork without any mods on both 128 and X19 and lets you get a decent height of air filter on there without too many hassles.

All Webers are precision instruments... the trouble with used carbs is your never sure if some ham fisted 'mechanic' worked on them in the past and twisted a throttle shaft, mis seated a butterfly plate or simply over tightened some precision component and marked it's sealing face... personally I've been able to get IDF's purring like a kitten on a twin cam and love their ability to allow fitment of a vacuum manometer from the factory, makes tuning much much easier... I wish DCNF's came with that built in!

SteveC

So Rob what made you decide on the DRLA dellorto'S then ? Lying about or cheap ? There has been some money spent on this car it has an ansa exhaust system on it so along with the any of the carbs its bound to help it further. Can anyone who has fitted anything other than standard tell me what influenced them ?

Well Mike, essentially in those days I didn't know any better. A set of carbs and manifold became available in the UK (maybe I found them through the UK Owners Club?) that came off a running X1/9. I got them delivered to Australia for the grand total of 200 pounds! :) That was in 1999. That first X had the Dells, a locally ground cam, a reasonable exhaust and slightly raised compression and ran very sweetly and pulled like a train. The jets etc. as the carbs came to me were good enough that I never felt the need to tinker.

tony.jpg

At that time I had well over a decade experience preparing and driving rally and race cars which had either rule mandated standard carbs or Webers. Remember this was in the days before the expansive interweb made finding parts easy, so we were restricted to what local parts retailers carried or could get, and those parts were expensive! Anyway, that first X succumbed to rust (I lived just a couple of hundred metres from the sea) and my next X project was to turn a series 1 into a rally car.

1098623937_e3fd505763_o.jpg

By then it was easy and cheap to get Dell parts and I got quite good at tuning them. When I sold that rally car I kept the carbs and manifold knowing I would get another X someday. Enter the barn find ;)

P1040362b.jpg

P1060023c.jpg

These DRLAs are now over 20 years old, have seen competition action, and I love them. I have a drawer full of jets and other sundry parts, can tune them how I like and find them reliable.

If I had known better in 1999 I would probably be running dual DCNFs today, but I'm very happy with the Dells and will always use them. Like IDFs, they are very popular with the VW/Porsche crowd and the parts available would boggle your mind.

Cheers,

Rob

Last edited:
My Fiats are toys and a wandering idle, popping and spitting when cold (or jetted too lean) is not a big deal. Dual Webers are loud, obnoxious, give immediate throttle response and look great, just what I want on my Fiats. If it wasn't for the VW aftermarket scene big on IDFs, we would be hurting for parts for our Fiat IDFs. I don't know why Brad hates IDFs, I don't think they are crude compared to DCNFs and in fact I have more problems getting DCNFs to work than IDFs. The 124 crowd all respect Brad, he is highly opinionated but we love him anyway!

Hate is the wrong word to use, though opinionated is not. It is my opinion that running something other than what fits the car fairly easily gives the majority of owners misery. Misery that leads to them enjoying the cars less, and driving them less. I have a few standard things I'm known to say about carburetors:

- If you just want to drive the car then use a single, dual barrel, progressive, downdraft carburetor like the DMTR or DATR. Weber carburetors with an "H" in them are no fun.

- If you want dual carburetors then buy something made to fit the car, in this case, DCNFs on a DCNF manifold. If you had a Spider I'd say run IDFs. The caveat being you're going to have to buy a few more tools and learn more about things. Do they provide a ton more power? Not really. They're fun though.

- If you like to tinker then there are hundreds of possibilities.

I don't hate IDFs, but most people aren't tuners and just want to have a nice performing car. IDFs are going to lead to a camshaft change, which will lead to something else, etc. If you want that kind of thing then absolutely, run with it. But I would say stop being in a hurry, save up about $1k, and buy brand new DCNFs.

Well Brad forget the hate word Carl quite openly states you got a bromance ongoing lol ! Carl that's what a few people on their own posts have said about DCOE's being loud and its not til now I realise that is a possible issue, I know tuning is all , those twin SU's I did recently were a pain until I cracked them when everyone said rip them out and put a single DCOE on , it ran a dream .

Steve , yet again this is another important piece of the puzzle , port spacing , didn't even cross my mind. I wish I lived nearer all you guys for stuff like this there seems to be more availability I will have a look on your link Steve, thanks for that.

Rob , you've had fun , tried rallying myself - not the legitimate type tho ! Nothing cooler than seeing the old school still competing so much more character and presence . That Barn find is a stunning example of what can be achieved , well done you , what colour is yours ? I had twin dells on an alfa guilietta I had when I was eighteen sounded gd with filters off (weve all done it ) until Dad sold it due to two speeding tickets and a burst radiator within a week lol !

I have thought hard about this , cant properly decide so concentrating on rest of build , if something comes up for sale I might buy , nevertheless Im so grateful for all the help, comments from all you guys ! I think I know ALL the pro's and cons and can make hopefully the right choice now.
Will post if anything changes

Thanks all

Back