anyone seen rods for this?

Very old school way of doing it, very strong too as the forces applied to the rod journal are not concentrated thru the rod bolts areas... the parting line is also serrated (not flat machined) to positively locate the cap and prevent it "walking"

I think that particular rod fits a Fiat 1500 OHV engine, maybe the 1800/2100/2300 straight six...which is similar but sized slightly different...though I haven't seen on of those apart for over 20 years.

Very modern engines (like late Opel and Vauxhaul) use what's known as a "broken" rod... the rod is cast as one piece and machined, then the big end is "broken" i.e. snapped apart... giving a unique parting line that only fits together one way and again isn't subject to "walking" forces...

SteveC

Fiat 600D engines had similar offset-cap con rods:

%21B7rNpUgCWk%7E$%28KGrHqN,%21jUEzKRS3E+MBM03yVUwyQ%7E%7E_3.JPG

%21B7rNpUgCWk%7E$%28KGrHqN,%21jUEzKR

That design is common on diesel engines...

It makes it easier to get the rod out of the crankcase without dropping the crank.

Not Fiat, but I had a set of similar rods for my 1275cc MG motor that was using TR250 pistons to make it a 1.5 liter. Was also offset laterally to get the spacing right. :wacko:

This con rod design is common to small cylinder bore engines. To fit the big end of the con rod into the bore, the split is offset for clearance.

At the time when these Brit engined were designed and built, the Brits taxed petrol engines based on bore size, not just displacement.

While the Italians taxed on displacement alone. This is why Italian engines from that era had short stroke larger cylinder bore and Brit engines have long stroke, small cylinder bores. One revved, the other tractor pulling torque.

Bernice

Not Fiat, but I had a set of similar rods for my 1275cc MG motor that was using TR250 pistons to make it a 1.5 liter. Was also offset laterally to get the spacing right. :wacko:

Not only Opel, Vauxhall, but Porsche, FORD and many others make fracture con rods. The big end gets a scored line (nice big stress riser) and literally snapped off at the line.

Not re-sizable on the big end or basically you get new aftermarket con rods for a rebuild or scrap the engine when wore out.

One of the more recent technologies used to make con rods is powdered metal..

Bernice

s.

Very modern engines (like late Opel and Vauxhaul) use what's known as a "broken" rod... the rod is cast as one piece and machined, then the big end is "broken" i.e. snapped apart... giving a unique parting line that only fits together one way and again isn't subject to "walking" forces...

SteveC

Back