Are mid-80’s Alfa Spiders much more expensive to keep going than late 70’s FIAT 124 Spiders?

tvmaster

True Classic
I know it’s a broad generalization, but is there one of these two you’d rather have, why, why not, etc.
Looking at them both as a future conquest....
thanks

Ok, I have owned both. A mid 70's 124 and also an 86 Alfa Spider. I would own the 124 any day over the Alfa. The Alfa I had was powered with the Bosch FI system, and it was god awful slow. The 124 could run circles around it. In terms of working on and maintenance, I would say they are very similar, with the alfa bits being just a bit more, because Alfa.... Now, if you go back in years a bit and find a late 60 or early 70's Alfa, then that becomes a much more interesting comparison.

However, it comes down to which style you like more. The Alfa is very pretty and looks like it is doing 110 sitting there. The 124 also looks good, just not as "sleek" as the Afla. I would say, buy which one you like the best and enjoy it. FI can be removed for carbs, or you can toss the Bosch system and replace it with Megasquirt, there are lots of options to overcome the issues I had with it.

Ok, I have owned both. A mid 70's 124 and also an 86 Alfa Spider. I would own the 124 any day over the Alfa. The Alfa I had was powered with the Bosch FI system, and it was god awful slow. The 124 could run circles around it. In terms of working on and maintenance, I would say they are very similar, with the alfa bits being just a bit more, because Alfa.... Now, if you go back in years a bit and find a late 60 or early 70's Alfa, then that becomes a much more interesting comparison.

However, it comes down to which style you like more. The Alfa is very pretty and looks like it is doing 110 sitting there. The 124 also looks good, just not as "sleek" as the Afla. I would say, buy which one you like the best and enjoy it. FI can be removed for carbs, or you can toss the Bosch system and replace it with Megasquirt, there are lots of options to overcome the issues I had with it.
Good info, thanks. We like them both, very similar in size and seating. For us, not being mechanics, a lot comes down to available experts, parts, shops and reliability. I’d like to own at least ONE Alfa in my life, and a new one is out of the price range, I’m looking for one where the owner loved it, took care of it, but has too many cars :) Wouldn’t F1 be more desirable, as opposed to less?

Have owned both but never a Bosch injected Alfa Spider so I can’t comment on those.
Id rather have the Fiat. Especially the late model injected cars. They are a great classic that’s usable and a cheaper buy in than the Alfa.
Parts costs and availability are about the same.
Not being mechanics though you are correct, it’s very important to have a good mechanic available. For example my city has a resident Alfa expert but no one wants to touch a Fiat.

Have owned both but never a Bosch injected Alfa Spider so I can’t comment on those.
Id rather have the Fiat. Especially the late model injected cars. They are a great classic that’s usable and a cheaper buy in than the Alfa.
Parts costs and availability are about the same.
Not being mechanics though you are correct, it’s very important to have a good mechanic available. For example my city has a resident Alfa expert but no one wants to touch a Fiat.
Ha, that’s a first, Alfa shop over FIAT. I hear this too - “oh, we don’t know how to work on THOSE cars”. Yet most people here say it’s no big deal. Luckily there’s a young, local kid who has the attitude ‘It’s just an engine’. So in a pinch, at least I can get a diagnosis.

I was looking for an Alfa Spider when I bought a '79 Fiat Spider. The Alfas do look and feel a bit more "upscale," but I think a good, sorted Fiat Spider is a sportier car to drive. Fiats are a little cheaper to keep up (mostly to do with parts prices, labor costs aren't too different) and valve adjustments are much easier. Alfa twin-cam fours have a timing chain with better longevity than our rubber belts.

Why does Alfa Spyder have more and increasing market value than Fiat Spyder.... Brand identity and market perception of what is an Alfa -vs- Fiat.

Much about perception and what it means socially to be part of the Alfa tribe.
Actual content is of much lesser importance to market value.

Bernice

I had both, two Alfa Spiders. A 91 that I bought in 92. I hated it, drove like a truck. Left me stranded 3 times.

Fast forward to 1997, I bought a 82 Alfa Spider. Felt more like a sports car. Removed the bumper and retrofitted the early bumpers and side mirrors and grill. Such a pretty car. Lightened the gears in the gear box. Shorter springs and konis.

Compared to the fiat spider the steering was a delight. The hydraulic clutch was delightful. Never a problem with the brakes. Front suspension felt very strong compared to a fiat spider. I actually enjoyed the Alfa sitting position.
Rear suspension would wiggle around. Not as well located as a fiat spider. I tried many things to fix this. Even tried poly bushings. Turned the car into a vibrating tea cup. I eventually settled on duetto rear trailing arms and rubber bushings. Duetto arms have a smaller rubber bushing.

The engine was strong but not as nice as or smooth as a fiat twin cam.
The trans had me humming the mrs robinson song when I was driving it.

Alfa parts seemed stronger and less drama than a Fiat.

The Alfa is one of the cars I miss selling.

I've had many fiat spiders. I hate the steering on a big bumper car, absolutely hate it. I hate the cable operated clutch. Other than that fiat spiders are easy. Motors are lovely when carbureted.
Oh I even dabbled in Spica, I eventually settled on twin carbs. Car was dead reliable.

Ok, I‘m thinking about acquiring this, and if any Alfa experts (essentially anyone but me) would like to watch the THREE videos hidden within all the photos, the part where the camshafts are rebuilt and explained - well, I’d love to hear opinions on the work. I know nothing. The fellow selling has had this and some other work done, but the price is up at least $6500 over what he got it for. Body is clean, usually the best part in old cars, right?
And if you buy it out from under me, well, I’d do the same thing 😜 Have a look, but it’s the three vids that are the most revealing?

I‘ll make finding the important video easy to find:

Last edited:
Found it. It looks like the work was well done by a guy that knows the car judging his work and spare parts in the background.
I can’t believe he gave him the option to do just the exhaust but a least it shows he’s an honest guy.
If you care to share the name of the shop I can reach out to the Alfa community and find out it’s reputation.

I forgot say my Alfa guru says these late model cars are the ones to have for someone not inclined to work on them.

I think the mechanic is Benny at John's Alfa Romance. I do know someone in LA area that had work done by Benny, and was always pleased with the work done on the car.

I think the mechanic is Benny at John's Alfa Romance. I do know someone in LA area that had work done by Benny, and was always pleased with the work done on the car.
Yes, that was his name and shop - thanks for remembering what I couldn't lol

If I were buying an Alfa Spider i would go for an early Kamm back one with side draft Webers taking the place of the Spica system.

The Motronic cars although great are a pain in the ass to debug. Motronic was a complex injection system, not a fan.

Make sure you have access to a mechanic who is willing to deal with it.

Karl’s opinion, easily ignored.

Back