Are there LED alternatives to the Optic Fiber leads?

Where is the bulb that drives the fibers?

I used the bolt hole that secures the original bulb-holding bracket as a grounding point for the replacement LEDs.

IMG_3575_LI.jpg

Not really related, but LED trivia. Running excessive current through an LED will momentarily change the wavelength emitted...before it self-destructs. One of the things I've done in labs (I conduct science classes on the side for gifted and home schooled kids) is to immerse a red LED into liquid nitrogen and watch the wavelength shift to orange/yellow. They can also take a lot more current at those supercooled temperatures, increasing output.

One of the things I've done in labs
I love science. :) That's a cool experiment.

I've read that the actual diode typically does not generate much heat, unless it is over driven with excessive current. However some makers do that to increase the output, which is one reason for the huge heatsinks they add to the unit. But the driver circuit that controls the current through the diode can generate heat, which is the main reason for a heatsink on most of them. But I've also seen many LED panels without any heatsink, so I guess it depends on several design factors.

Not really related, but LED trivia. Running excessive current through an LED will momentarily change the wavelength emitted...before it self-destructs. One of the things I've done in labs (I conduct science classes on the side for gifted and home schooled kids) is to immerse a red LED into liquid nitrogen and watch the wavelength shift to orange/yellow. They can also take a lot more current at those supercooled temperatures, increasing output.
They also get more efficient as the temperature goes down which will further improve light output.

I love science. :) That's a cool experiment.

I've read that the actual diode typically does not generate much heat, unless it is over driven with excessive current. However some makers do that to increase the output, which is one reason for the huge heatsinks they add to the unit. But the driver circuit that controls the current through the diode can generate heat, which is the main reason for a heatsink on most of them. But I've also seen many LED panels without any heatsink, so I guess it depends on several design factors.
The LED chips themselves will generate heat, and much is done to keep them cool since light output and reliability go down as temperature increases. For LED display applications, the power density levels are typically much lower than for illumination applications so dissipating heat is not as big a deal.

Hello....most fiber optic links use silica, a.k.a. glass, to lead light. Light is an incredible transporter of data and has a lot more noteworthy transfer speed limit than electronic wires. Organizations are presently talking about 40 Gbps Ethernet, however fiber has effectively arrived at velocities of up to 43 Tbps. Light additionally has a lower bit mistake rate and is impervious to electromagnetic obstruction. These attributes have settled on it the transmission technique for decision for long runs and organizations where speed is the situation.

buy pcb online

Last edited:
Hello....most fiber optic links use silica, a.k.a. glass, to lead light. Light is an incredible transporter of data and has a lot more noteworthy transfer speed limit than electronic wires. Organizations are presently talking about 40 Gbps Ethernet, however fiber has effectively arrived at velocities of up to 43 Tbps. Light additionally has a lower bit mistake rate and is impervious to electromagnetic obstruction. These attributes have settled on it the transmission technique for decision for long runs and organizations where speed is the situation.
While that is all true, it is hardly relevant for this discussion. The X1/9 uses plastic fibers to light up the symbols on a handful of switches, not for any form of high speed communication.

Plastic optical fiber also has very high attenuation, making it useful for only short distance communication. The large numerical aperture would also limit data rate due to modal dispersion even if the attenuation was low enough to get some distance. The single mode glass fiber used by the telecom guys is a totally different animal.

When comparing optical fiber to wires, it is true that you can achieve higher data rates with fiber, but wire will often result in lower propagation delays. This is because light travels down a glass fiber at about two thirds the speed of light. Depending on transmission cable configuration, wires will get you from about two thirds the speed of light to over 80% the speed of light. So, it depends on how you define "transfer speed".

Back