Are you man or woman enough to take your X1/9 out for a New Year's Day Drive?

toddr124

Hagerstown, MD
It is that time of year again. Time to start the New out right.

Join us for a New Year's day drive starting in Leesburg, VA and ending up with lunch in Gaithersburg, MD at Dogfish Head Alehouse.

I will post full details shortly, but he is the cliff notes;

We will start at the Sheetz's on Edward Ferry rd at 9:45 am. We should arrive at White's Ferry to cross the Potomac River on a ferry around 10:45. Than we will arrive at the restaurant at 12:15 for lunch.

You can join us for all or part of the drive/lunch.

Stop putting these cars away for the winter and drive them.:excited:

Yes Sir

Todd,

I am there unless its raining then that would be a negative, but i checked the weather on Accuweather and it looks good so far. Sounds like fun. Can you get the actual address to the sheetz? I will be coming down from Carlisle. How far away do you live from Carlisle?

Brian

Man! What fun! I miss the beltway sometimes - although not usually this time of year ;)

Fiat America in San Fran Bay Area has their annual New Years Tour as well. I am hoping for nice weather so I can take the x for it's first tour since the engine swap.

Todd,

I am there unless its raining then that would be a negative, but i checked the weather on Accuweather and it looks good so far. Sounds like fun. Can you get the actual address to the sheetz? I will be coming down from Carlisle. How far away do you live from Carlisle?

Brian

The complete details are now at http://www.dcfiats.org/events/index.html The Sheetz address is 915 Edwards Ferry Rd Leesburg, VA

I live just off I70 in Hagesrtown MD. We can meet at the park and ride off RT 66 and I-70 Exit 35 at 8:40 and drive down together if you want. This is less than an hour from Carlisle. Just look for a Burgundy X1/9. I should not be hard to spot.:)

Never again...

I bought my first X the afternoon of December 31, 1980. A brand new late '80, metallic black with tan - a beautiful car, and my only car at the time. A few hours later, I drove it about 25 miles to my best friend's house to cheer the New Year in with him and his wife. I had just one drink, and when I drove home dodging all the inebriated drivers on the road, it was the scariest thing I've ever done.

What can I say, I was young and foolish. That's the last time I'll ever drive a new car on New Year's Eve!

Tim,

I usually take the old Bird out for a New Year's Day drive unless it's raining as I removed the rain tray for better engine ventilation.

I just noticed you did the K20 conversion. With that you should be able to make it down to Morro Bay, stop for a few beers, and be back home in about an hour and a half.:headbang:

Hope you enjoy the new engine.

Mike

I bought my first X the afternoon of December 31, 1980. A brand new late '80, metallic black with tan - a beautiful car, and my only car at the time. A few hours later, I drove it about 25 miles to my best friend's house to cheer the New Year in with him and his wife. I had just one drink, and when I drove home dodging all the inebriated drivers on the road, it was the scariest thing I've ever done.

What can I say, I was young and foolish. That's the last time I'll ever drive a new car on New Year's Eve!

Well, big difference between new years eve and new years day as far as the roads go and all the nuts/drunks out there. I rarely drive a car on the eve of New Years. Just not worth it. Now, New Years day is another story! All those fools from the night before are either sleeping off a hangover or in the pokey (also sleeping off a hangover!).

No Prob meet you there

Todd,

No problem meet you there just looked at where it s at that's not far at all. What exit off of 81 do I take 4A or 4B? meet you there at 8:40.

Best Wishes,

Brian

I usually take the old Bird out for a New Year's Day drive unless it's raining as I removed the rain tray for better engine ventilation.

I just noticed you did the K20 conversion. With that you should be able to make it down to Morro Bay, stop for a few beers, and be back home in about an hour and a half.:headbang:

Hope you enjoy the new engine.

Mike

Mike! The k20 is simply awesome! I have been taking the car out for shake-downs here and there; each time getting farther from home ;) Tonight was the first time I really put it through its paces after I installed the programmable ECU. The face on this kid in a VW Golf next to me thinking we were going to race from the light, when I kicked in the launch control was priceless! I of course didn't have to race him as I think he knew at that point the car means business. Too funny. Some bits to work out, but I am REALLY hoping to take it on the FA New Years Day tour. Such a great day to be out and amongst friends. I really wish I could venture on the VA - MD tour Todd is doing. It is so pretty this time of year there.

Todd,

No problem meet you there just looked at where it s at that's not far at all. What exit off of 81 do I take 4A or 4B? meet you there at 8:40.

Best Wishes,

Brian

I-70 east. This is the second ramp off the only Exit lane for Exit 4.

See you at 8:40.

No pressure........

I'll be there. And not just because Todd told me if I didn't make it, he'd swap my X1/9 for an automatic-trans Plymouth Reliant with bald bias-ply tires and busted shocks.

You all have fun!! I used to enjoy that drive each year, but not enough to want to live back in the DC area:shh:

On Jan 2, we had snowfall here in Temecula (first time this millenium) and on a crisp 28 degree day the morning after, I opened the door to my X and sat in the seat, and at that moment I heard a sound of breaking glass right under my butt. The vinyl shattered from the impact of my sitting on it.

Bad day.

On Jan 2, we had snowfall here in Temecula (first time this millenium) and on a crisp 28 degree day the morning after, I opened the door to my X and sat in the seat, and at that moment I heard a sound of breaking glass right under my butt. The vinyl shattered from the impact of my sitting on it.

Bad day.

Ugh. My brother posted pics on FB of the snow they (and you) got last week. Pretty amazing. They live just up the road in Murrieta...

That's something we have to watch here

in New England.
It gets so bitter cold that anything vinyl or plastic gets really brittle.
I have a plastic door knob on my Ford Exploder that's broken off twice.
(we won't mention quality here...)

I got a dash sent to me by freight (in bitter cold) and it arrived here with a large split down the side from the frigid temps.

Look at this week's temp chart for NH ...
Blue line indicates below freezing. Keep in mind that the temps in your refrigerator's freezer will be WARMER than
it will be outdoors here in New England this week. (and likely next week too) :excited:

It'll be a good week to remove X1/9 tar floor coatings... :whistle:

1_5_Weather.png

Back