Stuartc

True Classic
One thing that used to distract from my pleasure of driving my ‘81 X1/9 (there wasn’t many) was nowhere to rest your arm on long runs when not requiring changing gears. I wasn’t going to accept this time around and also technology has moved along since my last X1/9 and now have mobile phones that need storing/charging/data connecting etc and I have a distinct hate of cables in the cockpit!
For this project I had 2 option.
1. The Fiat Barchetta’s centre console
OR
2. Universal fit centre console from a certain website!
47C51E76-0AC1-4A5B-862E-6C3A2286B2B8.jpeg

AD9EF8DE-E93B-4592-85F6-3CBC33BE7CF0.jpeg

The Fiat Barchetta’s storage is lockable, certainly attractive in a convertible and has either a velvet hand brake cover or stainless steel cover. This centre console needs a little modification but ultimately fits.
Option 2 is as follows and is universal in how it fits the vehicle, in our case not X1/9 specific but adaptable never the less.
FCAAFD4E-4A40-46F6-9CAE-47404B4BEA11.jpeg

As mentioned earlier main reason for centre arm rest, as name suggest is for something to rest your arm but I also wanted,

1. USB points
2. Ability to add a future QI Charger as my current IPhone ‘X’ Is not QI Charger compatible but future phone will be.
3. Added storage.
4. Somewhere to store phone away whilst driving (illegal in Australia to touch phone whilst driving)
5. Access to charging for passenger.
6. Totally removable and requiring any modification to originality of the interior of the vehicle thus removable and you’d never known it had been there! (Just so I felt better)😂

So surprisingly I decided on the second option even though the Fiat Barchetta centre console is far more robust the second option is far more adjustable and full filled all my requirements.
Firstly I ditched the base of the universal console and built my own using 40x3mm aluminium which attached to the OE handbrake plate which is totally removable. The base plate is then attached at the rear into the centre tunnel using a single 20g steel cutting screw.
B501F612-250C-4129-9534-6A2ABEC9879C.jpeg
E5F40BDA-DDAC-4A51-A45C-4C601F931BAE.jpeg

Internally the armrest is reinforced with aluminium and then the whole armrest is bolted to the base plate with 2 bolts into rivnuts that I inserted into the base plate thus removable anytime via the inside of the storage area of the arm rest.
0EEA5D68-40F6-4155-BBCF-E802619D94F3.jpeg

The armrest is wired into the car to provide internal illumination, USB 5v power to front USB’s, future QI Charger power source and ICE USB connection for data & charging.
108F1E8F-B0AF-4188-9DD5-0E5D79C012A3.jpeg

Grey plug is for future QI Charger power, Black (main input plug) is for Illumination, ICE USB and main power to QI Charger and 12v to 5v power converter.
E5D8F3F4-95A3-4931-A76A-C4AC605F3702.jpeg
6D300B5E-DDB0-4A51-8186-BDA6361AA586.jpeg
99B8A2DA-6006-4014-B42C-35A7D7CEF72E.jpeg

Illumination is switch on via switch at rear of armrest once opened and dependant on park/main lights active.
6C3674C7-EC74-456C-9FCB-D26BA28AC6FD.jpeg

A9531E94-3669-4C79-8C0E-3541C3B5742D.jpeg

Front USB points for charging only no data!
FEA83527-9DC1-45A1-8D92-6C6DCDE56ABF.jpeg
ACC5A787-3321-4B42-9685-D8016AE744C8.jpeg

Armrest can be adjusted any position between 2 extremities in the pictures and handbrake is cleared at all times.
775C82D3-7544-48A4-9C16-80068F1C9518.jpeg

FA88998F-DC7D-4091-B68C-97BD658487BF.jpeg

Now that interior is back in its perfect!
Driving position whether armrest back or forward is perfect height and great whilst changing gears. Only thing that will make me happier is when restoration of the whole car is completed with new leather interior and armrest covered in leather to match👍

Last edited:
😂
I would never eat or drink in my car and chances are if you were my passenger and wanted to eat or drink you’d be walking!😂
Saying this I think you could easily add a drink holder insert to the armrest if you wanted - I won’t be 👍

😂
I would never eat or drink in my car and chances are if you were my passenger and wanted to eat or drink you’d be walking!😂
Saying this I think you could easily add a drink holder insert to the armrest if you wanted - I won’t be 👍
Yeah, so far I’ve been able to fend off anything save for a sealed bottle of water. This car was designed to go somewhere else to drink…

One thing that used to distract from my pleasure of driving my ‘81 X1/9 (there wasn’t many) was nowhere to rest your arm on long runs when not requiring changing gears. I wasn’t going to accept this time around and also technology has moved along since my last X1/9 and now have mobile phones that need storing/charging/data connecting etc and I have a distinct hate of cables in the cockpit!
OR

The Fiat Barchetta’s storage is lockable, certainly attractive in a convertible and has either a velvet hand brake cover or stainless steel cover. This centre console needs a little modification but ultimately fits.
Option 2 is as follows and is universal in how it fits the vehicle, in our case not X1/9 specific but adaptable never the less.

As mentioned earlier main reason for centre arm rest, as name suggest is for something to rest your arm but I also wanted,

1. USB points
2. Ability to add a future QI Charger as my current IPhone ‘X’ Is not QI Charger compatible but future phone will be.
3. Added storage.
4. Somewhere to store phone away whilst driving (illegal in Australia to touch phone whilst driving)
6. Totally removable and requiring any modification to originality of the interior of the vehicle thus removable and you’d never known it had been there! (Just so I felt better)😂

So surprisingly I decided on the second option even though the Fiat Barchetta centre console is far more robust the second option is far more adjustable and full filled all my requirements.
Firstly I ditched the base of the universal console and built my own using 40x3mm aluminium which attached to the OE handbrake plate which is totally removable. The base plate is then attached at the rear into the centre tunnel using a single 20g steel cutting screw.

Internally the armrest is reinforced with aluminium and then the whole armrest is bolted to the base plate with 2 bolts into rivnuts that I inserted into the base plate thus removable anytime via the inside of the storage area of the arm rest.

The armrest is wired into the car to provide internal illumination, USB 5v power to front USB’s, future QI Charger power source and ICE USB connection for data & charging.

Grey plug is for future QI Charger power, Black (main input plug) is for Illumination, ICE USB and main power to QI Charger and 12v to 5v power converter.

Illumination is switch on via switch at rear of armrest once opened and dependant on park/main lights active.

Armrest can be adjusted any position between 2 extremities in the pictures and handbrake is cleared at all times.

Driving position whether armrest back or forward is perfect height and great whilst changing gears. Only thing that will make me happier is when restoration of the whole car is completed with new leather interior and armrest covered in leather to match👍
Nicely done. Thank you for an excellent write up and your interior looks great!

This is a really good addition to the car which provides an armrest which is useful and needed.

Thanks!

Attachments

• DC5F2514-AB65-4828-B5D9-133930C3A62A.jpeg
    DC5F2514-AB65-4828-B5D9-133930C3A62A.jpeg
    220.6 KB · Views: 90
  • 530AA03C-68ED-497A-9C07-F9E74F32E61A.jpeg
    530AA03C-68ED-497A-9C07-F9E74F32E61A.jpeg
    507.9 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:
Stuart has provided the link to the part he used. There are a few similar ones available to fit other cars with variations on the base on Amazon for @60 USD, so I deleted my extraneous info, there is a lot of stuff out there if you look. Wow.

“This is the listing that I purchased. AU $13.90 43% Off | For Suzuki Jimny Armrest box For Suzuki Jimny Interior 2005-2018 special Retrofit parts Car Armrest Center Storage box with USB

https://a.aliexpress.com/_mKGsZtk

The box itself is universal and the specific vehicle part in my case was Suzuki Jimny is the bit you throw away so any listing for this box will fit.”

Last edited:
OR
View attachment 69921
View attachment 69920

View attachment 69922

1. USB points
3. Added storage.

View attachment 69923View attachment 69924
View attachment 69925
View attachment 69926
View attachment 69927View attachment 69928View attachment 69929
View attachment 69930
View attachment 69938
View attachment 69931View attachment 69932
View attachment 69935
View attachment 69934
I agree, having someplace to rest your arm while driving makes a big difference for me also. The difficult part with the X is finding one small enough to fit. And this one seems to be a good size. I also like its ability to slide back and forth; allows good access to the handbrake (another issue fitting one to the X).

Please specify the part number or complete description or a link to the one you used. Karl might have identified it but I'd appreciate confirmation from you as well. It actually looks to be pretty well made for a universal item.

I think it’s the one for the Golf/Skoda, we don’t have as good a selection for small cars in the US for obvious reasons. Perhaps a group buy of a dozen and then send them around the US :)
If I can confirm the specific item info I can locate a seller that offers them singularly and ships to the US.

If I can confirm the specific item info I can locate a seller that offers them singularly and ships to the US.
Yeah I wandered around Alibaba for a while and then tried to find a similar item on Amazon to little avail.

This is the listing that I purchased.

AU $13.90 43% Off | For Suzuki Jimny Armrest box For Suzuki Jimny Interior 2005-2018 special Retrofit parts Car Armrest Center Storage box with USB

The box itself is universal and the specific vehicle part in my case was Suzuki Jimny is the bit you throw away so any listing for this box will fit.

On the armrest/box itself there is 3 options. First 2 will fit the X1/9
Box “A” has no USB’s and no 2nd shelf for your phone or in my case QI Charger but fits as it’s 31cm x 13cm
Box “B” Is identical dimensions 31 x 13 so fits and has 3 forward facing USB’s and the second shelf for the phone/Qi Charger

Box “C” has 7 USB’s 3 forward facing 4 rear and a cup holder at the rear which neither is appropriate for the X1/9. The box itself is also larger 34 x 15 and the critical measurement is width and doubtful the 15cm wide will fit between the X1/9 Seats as Options “A / B” are snug fit. So this option “C” in my opinion is not suitable.

3F085E99-6588-4F02-9B04-BB39E60D13ED.jpeg

I also specifically used this listing as it appeared to offer the biggest range of colours/options whereas other listings for same product were far more limited but as I’m going to re upholster this is really not important unless you leave as is👍
35601C33-E556-43DB-A767-782B2BABDE9C.png

I think you’ll find 145mm is a bit too wide. It would be a rather “tight” fit between the seats.
I think any wider than 130mm and you’ll be in trouble
A47E9F5A-F2B5-4817-84CD-D9C05378B13D.jpeg

I agree, having someplace to rest your arm while driving makes a big difference for me also. The difficult part with the X is finding one small enough to fit. And this one seems to be a good size. I also like its ability to slide back and forth; allows good access to the handbrake (another issue fitting one to the X).

Please specify the part number or complete description or a link to the one you used. Karl might have identified it but I'd appreciate confirmation from you as well. It actually looks to be pretty well made for a universal item.
Hi Jeff,
I’ve listed the exact one I purchased but here it is again👍
AU $13.90 43% Off | For Suzuki Jimny Armrest box For Suzuki Jimny Interior 2005-2018 special Retrofit parts Car Armrest Center Storage box with USB

I did mention that I reinforced the box but didn’t include photos so here they are.
35A46C88-2ACE-45DF-870A-518AD6648E73.jpeg
98CFE552-A9DF-49E4-868E-D1059DA95FD5.jpeg
0A79200C-3907-4A69-85F6-71D4D89DC362.jpeg

ED723ED4-AC54-49A2-9592-4AF29AA2131C.jpeg

As you can see the box is sandwiched between the aluminium base underneath and the aluminium inside the box and then bolted together. The aluminium inside is 3M VHB taped to floor aswell as mechanically fixed. It’s very strong and I can rest my weight on it when getting in/out of car!
The original setup is far flimsy and in my opinion short term failure point so this mounting will ensure longevity.
I used 40 x 12 x 1.6mm aluminium inside as this gives me a space underneath the inner tray to run wiring and hide mounting screws so false floor in other words.👍
This also gave me a solid foundation for mounting connector firtree clips and harness clips for the wiring underneath the box and hidden away!
For any future maintenance or wiring changes I just remove the 2 screws inside box, rear screw at back and main harness plug to pull unit out. It’s as easy as that.👍

Last edited:
I did mention that I reinforced the box but didn’t include photos so here they are.

As you can see the box is sandwiched between the aluminium base underneath and the aluminium inside the box and then bolted together. The aluminium inside is 3M VHB taped to floor aswell as mechanically fixed. It’s very strong and I can rest my weight on it when getting in/out of car!
The original setup is far flimsy and in my opinion short term failure point so this mounting will ensure longevity.
I used 40 x 12 x 1.6mm aluminium inside as this gives me a space underneath the inner tray to run wiring and hide mounting screws so false floor in other words.👍
This also gave me a solid foundation for mounting connector firtree clips and harness clips for the wiring underneath the box and hidden away!
For any future maintenance or wiring changes I just remove the 2 screws inside box, rear screw at back and main harness plug to pull unit out. It’s as easy as that.👍
Thanks I must have missed that detail. So you are using the smaller unit, I had missed that detail as well (not a detail at all :) )

It all looks great together. Spring will be here soon to enjoy.

This is the listing that I purchased.

The box itself is universal and the specific vehicle part in my case was Suzuki Jimny is the bit you throw away so any listing for this box will fit.

On the armrest/box itself there is 3 options. First 2 will fit the X1/9
Box “A” has no USB’s and no 2nd shelf for your phone or in my case QI Charger but fits as it’s 31cm x 13cm
Box “B” Is identical dimensions 31 x 13 so fits and has 3 forward facing USB’s and the second shelf for the phone/Qi Charger

Box “C” has 7 USB’s 3 forward facing 4 rear and a cup holder at the rear which neither is appropriate for the X1/9. The box itself is also larger 34 x 15 and the critical measurement is width and doubtful the 15cm wide will fit between the X1/9 Seats as Options “A / B” are snug fit. So this option “C” in my opinion is not suitable.

View attachment 69977
I also specifically used this listing as it appeared to offer the biggest range of colours/options whereas other listings for same product were far more limited but as I’m going to re upholster this is really not important unless you leave as is👍View attachment 69978
I’ve circled a bit in the photo you posted - what is the dual-cylindrical bit for…not quite getting that. Thanks

99AE263E-0D48-428F-A8CC-CAF297A784E8.jpeg

@Stuartc, thanks for the added info on the specific item you used. :) I see how they just use different adaptors on the bottom for various applications. But knowing exactly which model you used helped us to realize there is more than one size. ;) Otherwise it would be easy to see one that looks the same but won't fit (I'm looking at you Karl :p). Nice work Stuart. 👍🏆

@kmead, in your defense it can difficult to know a lot of details just from the pics and listing info...they can be very deceiving. I've purchased a few items only to realize they were not at all what I thought once received. Stuart's link to "AliExpress" is what I was going to look for. Alibaba is mostly for large scale (e.g. container size) sales, while the sister site AliExpress is more for individual sales. Usually you will find the same items listed on both sites. So once you have the info for a specific item you can find it on AliExpress offered singularly.

Looking on AliExpress I see another example of how things may be deceiving when searching for a item. There are two versions of the box available for the Suzuki Jimny. The one Stuart used and another one that appears very similar but the lower half does not come off...the whole thing is molded as one piece. Although it might appear to work, it won't for our intended purpose. :oops: The one Stuart used shows to two halves separated in some of the pics.

CCAE29DD-2D28-4280-8202-F5DEE31A1C48.jpeg

Just so it’s absolutely clear as I’m now getting confused 😂😂 .
The exact one that I used is “B3 White Line 3USB”

This will give you the 130mm wide case that fits nicely between the seats, black with white stitching, second layer storage for phone and 3 forward facing USB.

You can have the same spec in red, brown, grey and black. There’s also a combination of the above colours available in the choices.

Just stay away from a “C” Style option as these are too wide to fit between the seats in my opinion and why would you want 4 rear facing USB’s and cup holder in a 2 seater!☺️👍

The part I’ve circled in BLUE (below pic) is the part that makes it fit a Suzuki Jimny and I found it a “flimsy” part which in my opinion is a short term “failure point” and this part I threw away!

It will probably make more sense when you receive the product as this part also enabled the “box/case” part to also slide which is really unnecessary and hence flimsy premature failure point and why I used the sandwich aluminium setup and I like to over engineer things ! My method of installation allows adjustment but will withstand your full weight of entry/exit into/out of vehicle.
6C5739AA-8000-44B5-9260-26EEB05271F1.jpeg

The one last thing that I forgot to mention and I’m surprised no one has brought it up!

Spare Tyre Access is not hindered at all by this installation and no need to remove centre console to access tyre.
73ACE8A1-2E09-4BD7-910A-7764698947DF.jpeg

Only required a small 45 degree cut in the base plate at the back fixing point to clear the spare tyre wheel cover.👍

Last edited:
Back