ARP assembly lube

petex19

True Classic
I've been told that ARP assembly lube is excellent for the head bolt threads and on the washer. Is assembly lube used on cam box bolts?

I've been told that ARP assembly lube is excellent for the head bolt threads and on the washer. Is assembly lube used on cam box bolts?
APR thread assembly lube is essentially moly based anti-seize, can be used on cam housing screws. (technically, bolts have a nut on the threaded end, screws go into an internally threaded hole). What thread lubrication does in increase clamp tension for a given torque by reducing thread friction. Ideally, torque values are adjusted for thread lubricants/materials/threaded bits.. but there is often enough design margin for varied assembly.

As for "only" 14ft/lb.. that will produce about 3,500 pounds of clamping force with an M8x1.25 screw torqued to about 14 ft/lb oiled threads..
Or, that single M8 hex head cap screw can lift the exxe off the ground based on calculated values.

Torque-Tension_Chart_for_Metric_Fasteners.jpg

Bernice

APR thread assembly lube is essentially moly based anti-seize, can be used on cam housing screws. (technically, bolts have a nut on the threaded end, screws go into an internally threaded hole). What thread lubrication does in increase clamp tension for a given torque by reducing thread friction. Ideally, torque values are adjusted for thread lubricants/materials/threaded bits.. but there is often enough design margin for varied assembly.

As for "only" 14ft/lb.. that will produce about 3,500 pounds of clamping force with an M8x1.25 screw torqued to about 14 ft/lb oiled threads..
Or, that single M8 hex head cap screw can lift the exxe off the ground based on calculated values.

View attachment 83241

Bernice

My numbers for a lubricated M8x1.25 8.8 screw say closer to 2700 lbs, but still the same result. You can lift the car with that clamp load.

View attachment 83241

Bernice
Excellent information, thank you. While we're talking about fasteners. What would you recommend for the intake/exhaust manifold nuts? Stainless nylon insert nuts or standard nuts with washers? Anything on the threads like the ARP fastener lube or loctite?

While we're talking about fasteners. What would you recommend for the intake/exhaust manifold nuts? Stainless nylon insert nuts or standard nuts with washers? Anything on the threads like the ARP fastener lube or loctite?

You cant use a nyloc there...the nylon part would just melt :(....and a stainless nut will tend to gall on there...

Best to use a special hardened copper clad steel nut that wont seize on there. And ones that are mechanically self-locking so they wont loosen off. Great for manifolds to head, and elsewhere in the exhaust like at header flanges, converters, mufflers, etc.....

You might find them locally down there as Mercedes and such used them from the factory. They are m8 x 1.25 thread with a 13mm wrench size.

If not...I still have a bunch here.

I know its not quite the same but I think I have used brass nuts on my turbo to manifold studs. I think I got them from turbo technics when I had my turbo rebuilt. They where supposed to be string and yet not seize due to heat.
I am sure they would work well on exhaust manifold studs too

You cant use a nyloc there...the nylon part would just melt :(....and a stainless nut will tend to gall on there...

Best to use a special hardened copper clad steel nut that wont seize on there. And ones that are mechanically self-locking so they wont loosen off. Great for manifolds to head, and elsewhere in the exhaust like at header flanges, converters, mufflers, etc.....

You might find them locally down there as Mercedes and such used them from the factory. They are m8 x 1.25 thread with a 13mm wrench size.

If not...I still have a bunch here.

Excellent, thank you. I didn't even know those nuts were a thing. I located them at a specialty store. How about washers?

Back