At last!

MarkF

Administrator
Staff member
My 1980 X and I are celebrating a quarter-century together this year. Finally she got the wheels she deserved all along.

Truth be told, I've had these in a box since I bought them 7 years ago. I finally made time to refinish them. For the curious, those are Yokohama A509 tires (predecessor to the AVS-i) The tires are 15 years old but in amazingly good condition, so I chose to move those over to the Daytonas rather than buying new.

The new exhaust system is very pleasing to the ear, and the improvement over the old one is quite noticable. All that's left to go in now is the Faza 35/75, the bigfoot doublers and some more Megasquirt tuning.

More pics here: http://s949.photobucket.com/albums/ad339/x19mark/1980 X19/

DSC_0129w.jpg

Hmmm.... depends on how they've been stored...

The tires are 15 years old but in amazingly good condition, so I chose to move those over to the Daytonas rather than buying new.[/IMG]

Hmmm.... depends on how they've been stored... But I wouldn't trust fifteen-year-old tires no matter how good they looked.

Beautiful car Mark! You must be top-off cruising to all the new wine tastings this weekend up there in Chelan??

Looks great Mark...

Hopefully the tires were stored in plasic bags soaked in Armorall or something...

I believe even a few years on conventional NEW tires is something to be concerned with. I've known people to store original tires for SHOW cars so they SIT and look original and the like, but never to really drive them.

In any case... please be carefull and watch for any separation!

Congrats to the happy couple!!

My 1980 X and I are celebrating a quarter-century together this year. Finally she got the wheels she deserved all along.

The X is looking very good Mark. Did you have the Daytonas professionally refinished? Very shiny!! :)

A few answers...

Thanks for the concerns on the tires. These Yokos have actually been on the car (on Iron Crosses) for a while so they are at least "known". I pondered buying new tires but the Toyo RA1s are out of reach price-wise and the cheaper tires don't perform nearly as well as the ones I have. I always keep close tabs on my rubber :)

The Daytonas came to me with a somewhat garish gold paint. They needed some freshening but the lips were in fine shape. I did the work myself - they aren't perfect but then the rest of the car isn't either.

The exhaust is an IAP header mated to a muffler assembly of my own creation, based on the Camaro/Firebird transverse unit.

DSC_0048w.jpg

DSC_0047w.jpg

Thanks Mark

The Daytonas came to me with a somewhat garish gold paint. They needed some freshening but the lips were in fine shape. I did the work myself - they aren't perfect but then the rest of the car isn't either.

They look good. I need to redo mine as I hustled through a rattle can job to get mine looking decent a couple years ago. The hustling is showing already and I need to try again with a bit more attention to detail this time.

Back