Automatic in an X?

AngleT

Always more tuning to do
I know it’s sacrilegious to even consider putting an automatic in these cars, but I’m about to adopt a 2nd X and my wife REFUSES to learn to drive a stick shift. She loves these cars, but after many, many arguments I’ve learned to just let that issue go. So, to enjoy the idea of “his and hers” X1/9’s, I’m looking at putting an automatic in hers. Something that would be easily undone if I choose to someday.

So…My question is “What cars and what years did Fiat put automatics into that may transfer easily to an X?”

Thanks for not understanding in my time of embarrassment…lol

Strada

The strada up here in Canada had an automatic version. It might be hard to find one. I dont believe it was made by Fiat but by one of the domestic suppliers.

Spiders

The Spider came in automatics from roughly 79 to 81, not many of them around at all. The rear end was from a Chevette. That doesn't really help with an X. What about a Honda conversion that's an auto? That would be an awful lot of work but with the increase in horsepower it would be fun.

I do not believe there was ever an automatic X1/9 made, not for sure, and you never know. Get her an automatic MR2 or Miata, she'll love it.

Did the 128 come with an auto? I remember almost doing this on a spider since I had all the parts. My girlfried only drives auto. I was gonna convert my 68 spider, but ended up giving it to my kid.You would need a bigger motor in an x to make it driveable with an x though.

The strada up here in Canada had an automatic version. It might be hard to find one. I dont believe it was made by Fiat but by one of the domestic suppliers.

The Strada/Ritmo automatic is actually a VW unit from the same era... Fiat sold a lot of them, I have never needed to open one up. Can't say the same for the X 5 speed!

If you HAD to do an automatic X that would be where I would start, & no, I don't have any to sell.

Find an automatic transmission from a Ritmo / Strada and get the transmission, flex plate, torque converter and other associated bits and go from there.

There are no rules or must do that an x1/9 must be a manual shift.

In time, it might be possible to get a new version FIAT drive train to transplant into the X..

I know it’s sacrilegious to even consider putting an automatic in these cars, but I’m about to adopt a 2nd X and my wife REFUSES to learn to drive a stick shift. She loves these cars, but after many, many arguments I’ve learned to just let that issue go. So, to enjoy the idea of “his and hers” X1/9’s, I’m looking at putting an automatic in hers. Something that would be easily undone if I choose to someday.

So…My question is “What cars and what years did Fiat put automatics into that may transfer easily to an X?”

Thanks for not understanding in my time of embarrassment…lol

Bernice, I swapped out my better half {turns out she wasnt the better half}, and guess what, things got better. She could drive a stick though, but she would drive you nuts first.

I'd hit it...

...and would dig a slushbox tranny for daily commuting.

Manny tranny only way to motor when you're feeling frisky.
But when you just wanna get where you're going,
slush-o-matic has appeal...to me.
Having used vintage Fiats for daily transpo last several years,
freely admit there are times when I feel shiftless.
Some o' that coming from my gimpy left foot.
Severed in motorcycle accident 43 years ago,
there are times it needs a respite.

Alas...negative impact on performance
with a vintage 3 spd AT wouldn't be pretty,
I'm with Mr Estill...Honda/AT would be the ticket
for one who swoons for at AT X.

Or a certain V6 Chevy powered X
residing in wilds of Washington state.
Complete with slush-o-matic tranny,
it doesn't give up any performance.

In holland a guy actualy build an X1/9 automatic. He build it for someone with a handicap. He used a gearbox from a fiat uno selecta. I don't have pictures , but maybe henk has. It has a real fast accelaration.

CVT

I seem to remember the Selecta being a CVT (Van Doorne) transmission. That might be an interesting choice for the X1/9.

Back