Aux shaft bearing solution

DougESmith

True Classic
So, a was refered to a racing engine shop between Dallas and Ft Worth, big in drag racing... I lucked out on the day a drove out, long drive, and the bosses were at a race. So out of curiousity two guys in the shop looked my situation over and came to this.(they asked to remain nameless since they really shouldnt have worked on it while I was there. :)

First they used a bearing hone machine to hone out the new bearings until they would just barely slide over the auxshaft.

Then they knocked out the old ones, and fitted the new ones.

Then showed me how make one of my spare shafts into a reamer(this had been suggested to me by a member of the forum, but thank god I went to the shop first for the pre honing)

I took the block home and made my tool. Then I turnned it, and turnned it, and turnned it...... for a loooooong time. had to pull it out every once in a while to sharpen it. I cant imagine how long it would have taken if they hadnt prehoned them out, since the minute compression of the bearing after seating required the tool to still remove material all around the ID.

After i got them reamed. Then honed with flex hone as recommended. The shaft now fits nicely with no play.

Here are pictures of the tools used.

8711716326_22fd136d77_k.jpg

8710592485_9737cf7b8e_k.jpg

8710583915_9f4eac9626_k.jpg

8710582087_1f14abe173_k.jpg

Back