Auxiliary air valve alternative

Mxgrds

True Classic
My auxiliary air valve broke off when I removed the engine from the car and the trolley supporting it broke causing the engine to tumble.

Good aav’s are difficult to find. So I created an electric controlled one.

I use a 12 volt air valve, an adjustable thermo switch with the temperature sensor in the bolt hole of the AAV. The temperature to close the air valve can be set. Total cost €10.

Attachments

• D29EADF6-EE93-4154-B7A3-CABADB258FB2.jpeg
    D29EADF6-EE93-4154-B7A3-CABADB258FB2.jpeg
    119.7 KB · Views: 143
I believe it is a generic 12V solenoid valve. I used one on a early water-cooled VW to control the fuel injector air cooling (a rather unique feature on the '84 GTI "JH" head). It's basically just a on/off air valve. Similar ones are used for air suspension systems.
download.jpg

I'm curious how it is working out? (Mxgrds)

It works. With the solenoid valve Dr.Jeff showed. The air flow capacity though is a bit to small, so I had to drill the solenoid valve a bit. I ordered an other with more capacity. To control it, I use a W3001. Both come from Aliexpress. F6896FE5-DC34-4CDE-A2AD-9493B4D7A750.png

It works. With the solenoid valve Dr.Jeff showed. The air flow capacity though is a bit to small, so I had to drill the solenoid valve a bit. I ordered an other with more capacity. To control it, I use a W3001. Both come from Aliexpress. View attachment 30396

Does this work as either fully open OR fully closed, or does the controller gradually close the valve? I think it's fully open OR fully closed, just wanted to confirm.

If one could find an old fashioned cable controlled heater control valve of the correct nipple sizes for the hoses, one could use that in place of the AAV to get more precise control of airflow thru the AAV hoses. The push-pull control knob could be mounted under the dash like people used to do for manual chokes back in the day. If you were able to find one, you could graft it into the choke lever setup in the handbrake trim fascia from a very early car, which did have a manual choke.

IIRC there is a specialty Alfa parts and service house that used to sell a modded valve for Alfas with L-Jet. See Step 4 at this page: http://www.hiperformancestore.com/Ljetronic.htm

Last edited:
Fully open or close. But you can set the temperature. I have set it to close earlier then the bi-metal one. I always found the bi-metal piece open for to long.

Nice work!

Back when I still had the stock EFI, I ditched the AAV and added Volvo's "Constant Idle Speed" system that was supplied on their 240 Turbo models. It's effectively standalone, so not that hard to add. Biggest change was modding the throttle for a second microswitch.

Back