bad bad engine problems

thedevilmakesthree

Daily Driver
this weekend i was driving back from my brothers birthday about 75 miles away. I decided to take backroads home. I had checked the oil right before i left it was a little high. When i started out i heard some kind of knocking sounds like an engine knock. i couldn't really do anything so i hoped for the best and kept on driving. When i got to the highway and was about 20 miles down it, I started to hear a really bad knocking so i was about to pull over when it poured out smoke/made screeching sounds and died. :sad:I don't know if i threw a rod or spun a bearing or what. I got towed home by a passing truck. I haven't tried to start it yet. How should i go about diagnosing this?

7 easy steps

1. Raise rear of car
  2. Drain oil (if any), watch for "chunks"
  3. Remove oil pan
  4. Remove large rod cap(s) (keep in order somehow)
  5. Inspect bearings, which are toast.
  6. Inspect crank, which is likely toast.
  7. Wash up, inspect fridge for beer or wet bar for stronger stuff.
  8. It's all fixable.

Sorry for your trouble Mr. Montana... I would...

... take Gregory's steps and just REVERSE their order... starting with the beer.

Then I would just drop the entire engine and trans and disassemble it on the bench!

Drop the oil pan and let's all have a look_see.

It is possible that the oil pressure switch switch developed a leak and it all went down hill from there. These engines don't have oiling problems in the bottom end and the usual cause of a failure like this is an external oil leak or very low oil level.

Bernice

this weekend i was driving back from my brothers birthday about 75 miles away. I decided to take backroads home. I had checked the oil right before i left it was a little high. When i started out i heard some kind of knocking sounds like an engine knock. i couldn't really do anything so i hoped for the best and kept on driving. When i got to the highway and was about 20 miles down it, I started to hear a really bad knocking so i was about to pull over when it poured out smoke/made screeching sounds and died. :sad:I don't know if i threw a rod or spun a bearing or what. I got towed home by a passing truck. I haven't tried to start it yet. How should i go about diagnosing this?

Tony

I have no ideea, I was as stuned as you when I saw Romania.
He did not introduce himself on this forum ,I don;t remember any 4turbo saying a word to me , so I presume I don;t know him.
Engines like that, you can find here, i am pretty sure he have it , shipping quote , that's very cheap. I wish I could ship in USA with $4/KG , best quote I got was about $15 / KG with tracking number insured and delivered at front door , about $12/KG not insured and not delivered to front door, so Mr. 4turbo , please tell me how can I ship to usa with $4/KG , I'll be greatfull for this information. Thank you

Back