BB4RE was this your old black 79?

That's in my backyard! I went to school with that punk (really nice guy). I'm going to cash in on that and go buy that puppy! (not really but I'll sure go check it out for anyone interested).

It really looks like it.....but...

...I remember it having AC, and not the clock delete and that radio. The steering wheel is different, as well. Don't recall it having that dealer sticker on the rear bumper....but my memory has been failing on some things lately. I sold it with Daytona 13s and 14s staggered, as well....Even if it were the same car, the mileage is off by about 40,000 miles! Also, thinking some more...I had dyed the original parchment interior to the caramel, so I don't think this is the same beast. Sure looks nice, though.
black4ebay001.jpg

black4ebay010.jpg

That car was owned for many years by a local WMFLU member. It really has low miles but was repainted by him for reasons I am not aware of. The paint is good with a few very minor defects.

He rarely drove it and was quite anal about the car. He sold it to get a Trans Am or something similar to play more in the show car circuit in Michigan which is a bit Detroit Iron centric.

The person who bought it put the 5 spokes on it which look great. I haven't seen the car in at least 3 years.

Personally the steering wheel is ridiculous but he was a tall guy and needed every bit of space he could get to fit in the car.

If someone is interested I could go look at it.

Karl

Still would like to get that one back...

...the guy in Cinci that bought it from me had it for sale a couple years back, but I couldn't get a hold of him. The only thing wrong with it was a dime size bubble on the passenger door, and a very light grind into 2nd gear.

I have the same steering wheel in both my X1/9s

Personally the steering wheel is ridiculous but he was a tall guy and needed every bit of space he could get to fit in the car.
Karl

It is a great steering wheel. Plenty of leg room and easier to get in and out of the car. The steering is not heavy for parking with 185/60-13 or even the 195/45-15 tires.

I'm fairly certain...

That this car was for sale in 2006/2007, because it's when I first stumbled across these forums and got the itch to buy an X1/9.

He was attempting to sell the vehicle for $6,500 back then, and I nearly purchased it from him since my roots are in MI and I frequently visit family/friends there. Don't recall it having Daytonas but I knew less about the details back then. I subsequently got involved in a long-distance relationship and couldn't commit the time nor funds to move fwd.

Ended up being a good decision because she's now my lovely wife of nearly 4 years <3

My old Daytonas...

...restored 13 years ago.
Blasted to virginmetal, casting marks dressed down,
epoxy primer, catalyzed acrylic enamel.
Ran 'em on BlackX before going off on subsequent
CD30, Campy 4 spoke, and BWA SportStar tangents.
Notice original, not repro, caps.
PO wasn't afraid to step up and pay fair price
for premium car and premium wheels.

black_with_explorer.jpg

OR02-9.jpg

Great photo Mike,

Nice lawn too. :D
I Have a set of CD30's just like 'em but ended up with Abarth centers.

How 'bout some fresh photos of Mac's Black X? :woot:

Still have BlackX!

Thx Greg. High complement coming from fella with stellar black Xs!
Synchro on 3rd got a bit slow after years of trackabuse.
Then was daily driver for awhile,
but slow syncro was kinda annoying at times.
Mothballed it a few years ago in hope of not killing synchro teeth on the gear.
Dry & warm in downstairs family room along with DarkBlueX.

Ulix made a webpage for it back in 2000,
tho' as a trackcar, it saw continued improvement
before putting streetable suspension back in.
http://www.mirafiori.com/~ulix/x19/mike/

Nothing new on BlackMacX...

...it's in driveway...waiting its turn.
Derusted & sealed from weather for the most part.
I don't have digicam or phonecam,
so getting pics depends on visitors.

Thx for lawn complement. 30 years of landscaping.
Little bit earthmuffin...little bit gearhead.
Another pic...
OR05-1.jpg

Two different black Xs in same stable...

BlackMacX is sitting in background of driveway picture.
It's an FI car, bumperless, and currently a bit rough.
Solid black older repaint with slick roof paint.
Has EuroSpoiler, as shown in pic Greg posted.

BlackX is mothballed in downstairs family room.
It's carbed, single rail bumpers, and pristine.
Also has Zender wing & large airdam on front.
Original metallic black paint & stainless trim is also black.
That's the car shown in link to ulix' website.

Sorry for confusion.

Lovely summer evening, newly resurrected X, me and my kid took a short drive to test the X and see this one. Looks nice. Some scratches on rear trunk lid, some orange peel and such here and there. Son drove our X home, makes me nervous.

cousins.jpg

mine is on the left
carpet.jpg

wear spot like that on a 3,800 mile car? guess so
crackedreservoir.jpg

cracked reservoir

Engine bay looked alright, right pocket had some water but not much, today (6/1)I sent 'em a message to clear the drain and save the ignition module as it has been raining a lot.

Last edited:
Went past it again today. He took the nice wheels off, put some cruddy 128 or something wheels on it. Doesn't look bad but certainly not nearly as nice. Wonder what the deal was there, someone like me probably wanted to buy them. Or stoled them.

Yeah that is a strange mix of stuff in regards to wear, paint and so on.

When I used to see this car at meets it seemed a bit off with the new (somewhat imperfect) paint and low miles. That carpet as shown looks more like my car with *60k miles (with most of the wear from the PO).

It's nice but now without the great wheels it's less nice. Paint is very odd, good in most places, heavy orange peel in others. I think he shot himself in the foot by ditching those wheels. $8K was a huge stretch before, now it's a far greater leap. Still, nice car.

Back