Been a while...

Dayton Tom

Tom Marcellino
Yah, I've been lurking and an occassional post, good to see things rolling along here! Have done some changes that others may benefit from idea-wise... new stereo in a 1300 dash box as well as a rear speaker shelf.. and new exhaust... It's a 74 with the split manifold and dual down-pipes. Each pipe now goes to a turbo muffler. Modified the valence to have an outlet on each side. Not the greatest pic of the exhaust but you get the idea. I did all of the stereo work, but had the body and exhaust work done by folks that know what they are doing! Weather stripping and carpet on the to-do list..

**EDIT- the stereo is a CD/MP3 player. It has a USB slot, audio input, and an SD card slot. never heard the brand before, VR3, kinda funny it comes with a remote control!

dualturbosII.jpg

newrearshelf.jpg

stereo.jpg

afteralignment.jpg

Last edited:
GEEZ Tom,

I was wondering where all of that BASS I have been hearing was coming from......100 miles north of you!!! That thing must pound!

Thanks, guys! and no...

Well, not yet! I still have to add the amp and wire up the sub... but hey, the price was right even if over-kill....

WHERE THE HELL HAVE YOU BEEN???

HA!

Welcome back and that exhaust system is very neat and tidy. All your mods appear that way, BTW. I just came across your name in the old Best Of section recently and it JUST occurred to me that you haven't been around. I useta get you confused with Tom Boscan with the BB4RE that Bob Brown now owns.

Good to have ya around again!

Come on, Tony!

How can you confuse us? He has a red car....and I am good lookin! :laugh:

Thanks, Tony...

I posted a few times... showed as my full name vs. Dayton Tom... Thomas is a good guy (most of the time!) so I don't mind the confusion! :king:

Not only is he good looking, but he had a blue car... lol

Thanks for the compliments... the exhaust idea came from the green Avatar or whater you call it at the top of X-Web! Muffler shop did a pretty good job, did go back to have them evened up, just wish he had painted it before installing...

I'll get some better pic's out in the sun when I can... off to Charlotte today.

Hi Tom,
Did you change the set-up of the rear?
BTW Nice job on modification of the back bumpers.
/Paul

VR3

Hey Tom....

VR3 is Roadmaster, their "elite" brand. Same brand Shucks use to carry back in the day. Just looked at their site and their stuff has come a long way since the cassette players the chewed up tapes. I am really interested in how you did your 4x6 speakers. I am struggling with that now. I am hoping to have my 4x6 mounted neatly and some 5 1/4s mounted by the end of June, and a sub mounted soon after that....

Looks good....

C

Speaker shelf...

On the 74, there is a plastic tray there that is removable. Goes the full shelf width, formed over the front edge, and presses up behind/under the rear window rubber seal.

In that seal, a little farther down, is about a 1/4" thick channel the full width. I don't know if other year cars are like this?? (be a while before I get home and can get any picks)

I cut 1/4" thick flooring wood/mahagony. The top edge is 47.75" wide, the bottom is 48.75" wide. Cut the holes for the speakers then covered it with black vinyl.

Screwed a 3/8" or so thick strip along the front edge, far enough back, to hold it in place. Then a couple of long sheet metal screws through the top (that part was unplanned due to a screw up with attaching the strip under).

1/2" wide strip of aluminum across the facing to trim in out. Over-all shelf depth is now 4.25" after inserting in the channel, so have to custom some speaker grills.

Back