belt sizes

i have done some

experimenting
the 32 1/2 called for is not correct
29 also does not work which is what i measured
(guess i did it wrong)

when the wife returns i will try a 30 and 31 inch belt and see what happens

Of the several major brands sold in local parts stores, I found that only Gates has a belt that is what I would call a perfect fit. Other brands seem to be sized a little longer for the car and when you put it on, you only have a teeny bit of adjustment travel left in the bracket.

Gates #7325 fits onto the alt-wp-crank without having to walk it on. Had to unbolt the alt lower pivot to get that extra scoush of clearance, but it does fit and after adjustment there is still about an inch of travel left on the adjustment arm.

this x

has two belts
one from crank to ac
and the other
from alt to water pump to ac
it is a strange set up to me.

My 79 is as you said, too

And I would pitch in with a belt number, but I did the GM alternator
in 1979, so the belt I use is of no use to you. But as said, the belts of a given stated dimension range rather greatly in actual fit.

i tried

The GM alternator swap and had to pull it back out I have trouble aligning the pulleys properly which of course thru the belt off...I am going to go back to the GM alt but will have to reengineer my brackets to get the pulleys to align

for those

that are playing the home game
on a 79 x where the belt goes from the water pump to the alternator and around the ac compressor the belt size that works best is.

ding ding ding...
30 and 1/2 inches
or 15305
and advance is discontinuing them so i had to get one from auto zone

Sounds similar to what I use there

But what size did you go with for the crank to compressor?

i will

have to check on that for you this weekend
i took it for a drive this evening and now its dark
the alt gauge stayed where it should and the temp gauge never went to the scary place so i think all is well now. and it idles rather well even if it is in my opinion a little high much lower and my x will die at stop signs and stop lights

i've got a lot of wiring to check out
the headlight motors are not working right again (had them fixed but i guess they broke from sitting most of the winter)
i got to do the brown wire mod and the wiper mod

and thats enuff of my list for now

Back