Best current source for cam/tappet tool?

LarryC

Curator of #10105275
It's time to check and adjust the cam clearances. Before I frustrate myself with the search, I thought a quick check here would be wise.

It's time to check and adjust the cam clearances. Before I frustrate myself with the search, I thought a quick check here would be wise.

Larry,

When do you plan on adjusting the valves? I have the factory tool shim assortments but I am still assembing my motor.

Thanks,
Tim

Thanks for the inputs.

Yes, I was looking at Chris O’s offering. Just wanted to be sure.
Fiatmonkey, I will probably be having a go at it as soon as I source the tool. So a week or two.

I checked the clearances last Sunday and have two exhaust tappets and one intake tappet that are out of bounds. But until I get the tool, I can’t measure the old shims and get an accurate idea of what shims I need to get back in spec.

Up until recently ( a decade) I had a Fiat mechanic that always did it for me, which saved time and headaches. But, sadly, no longer. In Albuquerque you are on your own. Mechanics in Albuquerque react to Fiats rather like vampires to a Holy Cross.

Snap on make a nice tool for the job, same tool is used for early 8v VW golf....

USAG make the nice notch nosed pliers to grab the shim and lift it out if you want to get fancy...

SteveC

Yep, need more information.

No such tool listed on the Snap On site, not that I could find at least.

Those are the only tools Snap-On sells for valve shims that i know of. I'm pretty sure those will work fine for Fiat shims. Having both tools would probably be ideal. They are designed to be used together.

I did list the snap on part number a while back in another thread asking the same question, maybe do a search, I'm at work about 500km away from my Fiat tools...if you can wait until Tuesday night I'll post the number.

SteveC

Back