Best headlight trouble shooting guide?

carl

True Classic
Is there a definitive writeup on trouble shooting the headlight motor control?
Both headlights come up, I have high and low beams, but only the driver side goes down when I turn them off. At one time or another we all have trouble with X headlights and I assume by now someone has printed a really nice guide.....I hope.

My car has the old style fuse box and the one time I had trouble, it was bad contact between the fuse and the clips. I think it may have been one of the two short fuses. Cleaning it solved the problem. I've also heard that a bad diode can cause a problem. I think that there a few threads on the subject.

Yea, this is an 83 with the old style fuses, many of them!) in the drop down panel under the broken glove box. I really haven't played with the headlight yet, having too much fun playing in the engine bay.

Id be interested if there's a definitive guide as well. I think I've followed a few & (thankfully) not had the need. I do have one light on my '79 that sometimes needs a nudge of the roller wheel on the motor or (more often) needs to go over a bump to raise or lower. In that case, 75% of the car was once under water so I consider the fact that the lights usually do come up a win.

I only have a trouble shooting guide for early cars. I'm not sure it will help, but I've attached it.
It isn't a perfect scan as the main step numbers are missing, but step 2 & 3 start with letter a's further down the list.
X19 Wiring 013.jpg
X19 Wiring 014.jpg

Thanks. I'm surprised no one here did a guide. If Brad Artique had stuck with the X he bought years ago he would have made one!

Back