best rims/tires?

dburdick

doug b
I'm going to go to a larger rim size, as there aren't many choices in 13 inch tires anymore. Recommendations? I'm not going to use the car for racing, there will be alot of long trips on the interstate, so wear and road noise are a factor. Tire rack was no help.

On the 124 or 2000???

Lots of options in 15 and 16 inch wheels... 15 x 7 or 16 x 8... need to measure STOCK backspacing and then calculate for a larger diameter wheel. This will get you LOADS of TIRE choices...

Then you can look into LOADS of options with spacers, adapters or pay for the 4 x 98 pattern which will somewhat limit you again now on WHEEL choices...

If you like he current fad of POSITIVE offset and have no fear of adapters... then a 4 x 98 to 4 x 100 conversion will give you almost limitless possibilites. Page PeterR for an example.

Until you respond with what THEME or USE you are are looking for... I'll just stop here... as this discussion could go in 100 different directions.

theme and use

The use part is simple. I'll drive it to St Augustine, Florida, which is about 300 miles from my home here in Cameron, SC. I'll also be driving it to Charleston. This is all interstate, 70+ mph driving. The theme? Tough one. Mine is a stock, carbed, '79. I have no plans to modify the car,so I guess I'd have to say I want the looks to remain the same. I hope that helps some. What do you think? Oh yeah, don't let my avitar fool you, the car I'm working on is a 79 X1/9.

Last edited:
Um won't you need to address the rubbing issue when going to larger/ wider wheels and tires? It was my understanding that there is barely enough room for the stock sizes.

tires

You have to go to a lower profile tire as you increase rim size. This keeps the circumfrence the same.

I was talking about width, I was told that I'll have rubbing issues with my little 185's.

OK then... ya want a tire to travel with...

If you wnat a GOOD to BETTER tire at a reasonable price... why not with the same 13 inch rim and use Sumotumo HTR200s, 185HR60x13s.

Good wear, Better traction, quiet, fit well and rotatable without rubbing issues. About 40 each at TireRack.

Going to 14 inch rims doesn't give you much more in the way of choices... going to 15s give ya MANY more choices and the price goes up. Spacers and adapters may be required as I state earlier.

Look around the site, use search function as this topic is a biggie with MANY "opinions" and facts!

When you get more specifice with your choices, we can help further...

Back