Bilstein shock installation

Kit option

There is machining in this project that would not be part of a kit.

The machining of the ends of the shock shafts requires making a cap for the back end of the shock, putting the very end of the shaft in the three jaw chuck of the lathe, and using the cap allow you to hold it between centers for machining. I set the steady rest just outside the shock tube as well as extra insurance, as the cap on the back end of the shock did not fit into much of an indent. I am not an expert machinist, but I did have expert help.

This is a key part of the machining, and if you can do this, or can find someone else to do this, the rest will not be that hard. To machine down the aluminum spacers you will need to make a collet to hold it, most machinists will know how to do this.

If anyone is interested I can look for the numbers of the seals.

Paul

Matt and I have been kicking around on a way to do Bilsteins and coil overs.

You have done nice work here. Clearly you think like a machinist. :) I think like a welder/fabricator, so my solution on Mr. Whitstone's car was to change the top of the strut housing. I cut and welded in the tops of some VW Fox strut housings at the correct height, solving all fitment problems and allowing the use of the nicely made Bilstein retainer nut.

I think the market solution is to produce a whole new set of housings designed to fit to the X and use Rabbit inserts of whatever flavor the customer desires.

Nice approach

A good solution to the same issue. The Bilstein nut/seal combination is very tidy. How did the spring perches work out? Pictures?

Yes, I do think like a machinist and not like a fabricator.

If you manufacture these, it would be a plus to add the option of eccentric bushings in the upper mounting hole as previously described by Bob B, and mentioned in Bernice's recent post on KYB struts, giving the option for camber adjustment. (I am thinking like a machinist again.)

Paul

If anyone is interested I can look for the numbers of the seals.

Paul

If it's not too much trouble I'd appreciate having it. Besides, it'd be nice to have in the archives.

I'm getting so lazy I might just punt and go with the DA Konis, but years of track experience have proven to me that Bilstein makes a *far* better damper.

I think the market solution is to produce a whole new set of housings designed to fit to the X and use Rabbit inserts of whatever flavor the customer desires.

If you are going to the trouble of making a new housing I would stay away from the Rabbit insert. It is a solution to the small diameter housing problem. Look at the larger body inserts Bilstein offers. More oil and larger diameter guts give way more valving options. From memory I think the insert for a 3000GT is about the right length and stroke. It also installs with a bolt through the bottom so you would not even have to worry about the gland nut.

Oooo oooo ooooo .....

so my solution on Mr. Whitstone's car was to change the top of the strut housing. I cut and welded in the tops of some VW Fox strut housings at the correct height, solving all fitment problems and allowing the use of the nicely made Bilstein retainer nut.

Pics please!

Pete

Back