blanking plate

Agnelli

True Classic
New 1500 rebuild nearing completion and preparing for install. Question:

The 1500 still in my X (which is to be uninstalled) has an aluminum blanking plate on the left lower front of the block, below the closest freeze plug.

On my freshly rebuilt block, in that same location there are two threaded mounting holes and what appears to be a water port between. Anyone know the purpose of this section of the block?

blanking plate.jpg

That was the spot for the EGR on the early 1500 engines. This is the best picture I have of the EGR thingy. You can see the gold-ish circular device down on the lower left corner of the block.
20150621_145000.jpg

New 1500 rebuild nearing completion and preparing for install. Question:

The 1500 still in my X (which is to be uninstalled) has an aluminum blanking plate on the left lower front of the block, below the closest freeze plug.

On my freshly rebuilt block, in that same location there are two threaded mounting holes and what appears to be a water port between. Anyone know the purpose of this section of the block?

View attachment 33992
On my sons X I just made a plate out of flat stock Jim with a gasket and plugged it. Hope that's all that's required? Hasn't been an issue so far?

On my sons X I just made a plate out of flat stock Jim with a gasket and plugged it. Hope that's all that's required? Hasn't been an issue so far?
Same for me. Then at the next rebuild, I just put some allen studs with loctite. I don't remember if I had to tap threads. But it haven't leak in 20 years.

I just tapped mine for an M8 x 1.25 x 12mm plug. Pretty simple. You just need to block the water passage (center hole), not the whole works.

Thank you Jim, Cliff, and Don. I think but have yet to verify it's a 1979 or 1980 carb engine. Will check the serial numbers and circle back. I will transfer the blanking plate and call it good. Interesting to find out how the EGR thingy functioned, perhaps someone here may know.

Should be fine CnC, it is emissions gear and if you removed the rest of the the system the EGR is not needed.

Back