bleached top Forever Black?

A perfect solution is the spray-on bed liner. It's black, it's rough, it's tough and flexible. It comes in a spray can from Oreilly's. It really STINKS so it must be good!!!
Prepare the surface with Castrol Superclean. Also the best stuff ever made, but it will etch paint, which in this case is GOOD.

Now that sounds like a plan!

Why Castrol branded SuperClean?

I'm not thrilled with how mine turned out. Paint dried down a bit splotchy despite very concerted effort to maintain several even coats. I don't like that paint. Rustoleum All purpose Satin. Color is right and it does look a world better but next time....bedliner perhaps. I'm sure I didn't help matters with my oil experiment either :eek:mg:

Allways use a prep solvent "oil and wax remover" on anything you intend to paint.. Its cheap, lasts for years, and is the only way to guarentee you wont get fish eyes from tiny oil droplets. Be sure it has all evaporated before sparaying. and dont touch it...... if you do the bed liner trick please dont use the roller,, either get a rattle can of it or use a shutz gun. i think the texture would be a great match for the original.. And stuff wont slide around on your roof,, you could drive around with a can of beer on it.. oops allready done that.. :)

Haven't done the X top yet, but...

...I did the targa on my Zagato a few months ago. I used spatter paint. It did a nice job of texturing. I think it looks pretty darn good.

SUPER CLEAN

SuperClean, the purple stuff in the purple jug, is the BEST cleaner /degreaser I have ever used that is actually water soluable. MEK is really the best solvent on the planet, but it's seriously deadly.

The other "purple" cleaners are just crap. SuperClean was original marketed by Castrol, but it seems like they must have spun the product off on it's own. I don't see Castrol on the label anymore.

This stuff is a powerful base (alkaline) and will dissolve skin and any other carbon-based material. It's hard on paint! But it does amazing things to greasy transmissions and engines and stuff. I buy it by the gallon!!!

Ouch!

I use this stuff on gun stocks...

That's got to be an experience when the recoil hits and your cheek is resting against it... :eek:mg: :) :)

Good idea for the top though, I might do that. My gelcoat is rubbed smooth in some places, and chipped off in others.

Back