Brake fluid hose

Might seem a lot of fuss over a simple hose but any hose that weeps will result in paint loss in nearly inaccesible places followed by rust. Not just an X problem, common problen on some Jag and various other cars from the period. Advice seems to be "replace the hose when you do a fluid change" ahahahaha.
Rather excessive. I have replaced one of my X’s hoses, the other is OE from 1984 when it was produced… Yeah, I am a ishty owner…

Last edited:
Rather excessive. I have replaced one of my X’s hoses, the other is OE from 1984 when it was produced…

Yeah, I maintain that all you have to do is buy the right hose from Belmetric, install it exactly as it came from the factory, and don't think about it for at least another 40 years. I don't get the push to re-engineer the whole system when the right hose, even braided like the original factory hose, is available. But hey, some people love the challenge I guess. Knock yourself out. Lord knows my car isn't stock either in many ways.

Here's my '74 with new hoses, it still had the originals from 1974 (!!):

1702271242771.png

1702271271277.png

Perfect fit. So I'll put a note in my calendar to replace them again in 40 years, instead of 49.

I did the same to my son's 86 Bertone. His car also had the original 37 year old hoses. Here's the hoses out of his car next to the new set, ready to be installed. I replaced the brake reservoir as well with a new one, his was all cracked like most are these days.

1702271776455.png

You're looking at around $144 in hose right there. So if I change it again in 37 years, that's $3.89/year.

It's available, I'd be surprised if they don't ship to Australia.

These guys have the cohline 2337 and will ship to Australia. https://cohpro.com/shop/brake-clutch-refill-hose-7mm-id/ Price is reasonable and per metre not per foot or as I have seen on some sites, per inch! 4m total is about AUD110 and freight to me in Qld for 4m was estimated at about AUD40. Say AUD 150 all up. Exactly the same stuff, same length etc from the US [Belmetric] comes to AUD 450..
I bought Cohline fuel hose from Cohpro. Good company.

These guys have the cohline 2337 and will ship to Australia. https://cohpro.com/shop/brake-clutch-refill-hose-7mm-id/ Price is reasonable and per metre not per foot or as I have seen on some sites, per inch! 4m total is about AUD110 and freight to me in Qld for 4m was estimated at about AUD40. Say AUD 150 all up. Exactly the same stuff, same length etc from the US [Belmetric] comes to AUD 450..
4m would be border line for a right hand drive clutch & brake - you really need some extra to ease the radius at the scuttle and pedal box, despite what the factory lengths were. If you're looking at the uk for Cohpro, then the eurosport ones that @ng_randolph posted in #39 would work out better price-wise (if my gbp to aud is correct!) and you can get both diameters in smaller length increments, plus the clips.

4m would be border line for a right hand drive clutch & brake - you really need some extra to ease the radius at the scuttle and pedal box, despite what the factory lengths were. If you're looking at the uk for Cohpro, then the eurosport ones that @ng_randolph posted in #39 would work out better price-wise (if my gbp to aud is correct!) and you can get both diameters in smaller length increments, plus the clips.

For a LHD X1/9, you'll need:

Front brakes: 1118 mm of hose
Rear brakes: 1321 mm of hose
Clutch: 1169 mm of hose

I've never seen a RHD X1/9 so I don't know where the reservoirs are located, so this info may be useless for all I know.

I've never seen a RHD X1/9 so I don't know where the reservoirs are located
The reservoirs are on the opposite side to you, as is the wiper motor, battery etc. I'm surprised the LHDs need so little - there wasn't much left of the 10+4 foot lengths when I did my hoses, but having a few spare cm's was a definite bonus. If the same bore is being used for clutch and brake, it would be possible to get away with 4m with lots of double checking, but yeah, no going back after the first cut 😬

When doing the brakes, don't cut into two until it's connected at the cylinders and any excess is at the reservoir(s) - i.e. leave it looped at the reservoir(s) and feed it down to the cylinders - you then don't need to worry about differences in the individual required lengths.

I am twitchy about the Eurosport stuff simply as it is not identified. I accept that Eurosport is a decent supplier but still. Buying from Cohpro gives certainty as to what the hose actually is.

I am twitchy about the Eurosport stuff simply as it is not identified. I accept that Eurosport is a decent supplier but still. Buying from Cohpro gives certainty as to what the hose actually is.
Eurosport is excellent fyi. I would bet an email to Claire would elicit the needed info. Small company with great people just like Midwest-Bayless, Autoricambi and others. The companies selling us all parts exist on good relationships and in my experience they all stand behind their products.

It can’t hurt to ask.

Your choice is entirely reasonable.

Back