Brake Fluid Reservoir

Alex(Tenerife)

True Classic
I spotted my brake fluid reservoir is cracking on the top, so i know I am on borrowed time.

I would love to replace with an ally version, and in my distant memory I seem to recall something along these lines but my searching can only find plastic replacements.

Anyone recall a metal replacement? Ideally I could put the same or similar cap on the top to keep the low level warning.

If not I will probably go with a new plastic one that DG rally sell but a love the idea of a metal one.

I also recall there was a alloy one offered by someone. Was it the same seller you noted (DG Rally)? Or maybe Matt at MWB had some made at one time? Honestly I can't recall for sure who it was....but I do remember it.

If you do a search using this string 3 in 1 brake Reservoir Aluminum and filter for images you will see lots of choices.

The one I recall, and I believe Alex is thinking of, was a "fabricated" item that copied the stock Fiat X reservoir as a direct fit in every way. In other words not a universal item.

The one I recall, and I believe Alex is thinking of, was a "fabricated" item that copied the stock Fiat X reservoir as a direct fit in every way. In other words not a universal item.
Exactly, I am sure I remember seeing a post about one, but can't find it again.

I am tempted to get one made locally but then again the DG rally supplied one is WAY cheaper than that would be, even with the international shipping to me. I can make the holder myself, so that seems my most sensible option, but then again we don't always make the sensible choice do we.

I will talk to one of my students who is a great aluminum welder. Already has job offers in aerospace industry tig welding. Someone will have to send me a broken original one for a pattern as I dont own a x 1/9

Standard material for plastic brake fluid reservoirs is polypropylene. That is 3d printable. Apparently an awkward material but definitely doable. Filament is available and there is a glass fibre reinforced filament too. I will attempt this but not until maybe June 24 at the earliest.

There was a member selling a modified BMW unit that worked very well. That's what I have in my 86.

There was a member selling a modified BMW unit that worked very well. That's what I have in my 86.
I have one of Jeff's BMW reservoirs as well; it fits the stock bracket with a piece of timing belt (included) for spacer. Possibly easier to source in Europe?

Standard material for plastic brake fluid reservoirs is polypropylene. That is 3d printable. Apparently an awkward material but definitely doable. Filament is available and there is a glass fibre reinforced filament too. I will attempt this but not until maybe June 24 at the earliest.
I fully support the idea of as many 3d printed parts, once you have a printer, availability and shipping is no longer an issue. Not that I have a printer yet but I will one day. Every day I wait the price seems to come down and the quality goes up.

Only $180 bucks! And low profile! Not a fan of the metal ones because you can't see the fluid level without taking off the cap...

most interesting to me is the use of nylon. Which is generally not identified as suitable for brake fluid. But Tilton are hardly inexperienced or fly by night! Nylon is also printable and a little more friendly than polypropylene.

I fully support the idea of as many 3d printed parts, once you have a printer, availability and shipping is no longer an issue. Not that I have a printer yet but I will one day. Every day I wait the price seems to come down and the quality goes up.
I unboxed mine last week and am embarking on my hands on learning activity!

most interesting to me is the use of nylon. Which is generally not identified as suitable for brake fluid. But Tilton are hardly inexperienced or fly by night! Nylon is also printable and a little more friendly than polypropylene.
It might not actually be "nylon", perhaps just a convenient term they used that most customers would recognize readily.

Back