Brake Fluid Reservoir

They say "fiberglass reinforced nylon material". Probably their own mixture... I have had a similar one from Tilton in my Datsun for 8 years, with no issues.
IMG_20150907_151538_884.jpg

Tilton_Res1.jpg

Last edited:
I wonder why it says "For racing use only". If it's good enough for racing, it should be good enough for street use. That's ok for race slicks but for safety parts, it is probably because there are some safety organisations that didn't approved the part

They say "fiberglass reinforced nylon material". Probably their own mixture... I have had a similar one from Tilton in my Datsun for 8 years, with no issues.View attachment 83113
Glass reinforced nylon is a common material used when structural integrity and chemical resistance is needed. Glass fiber or carbon fiber are both materials which can be alloyed into plastics to improve structural integrity. The negative is the parts may not be the most beautiful as the fibers can be evident in the part.

I wonder why it says "For racing use only". If it's good enough for racing, it should be good enough for street use. That's ok for race slicks but for safety parts, it is probably because there are some safety organisations that didn't approved the part
I suspect it is just idiocy protection. Have you met people? People are stupid and ignorant. Tilton do not want any legal involvement when some idiot installs their reservoir by cable tying it to the exhaust manifold [but I used ss cable ties cos they look kool..] and then decides to T the lines together to make running them easier... Etc.

Hard to find good data but the link below is good. Actual tests of actual Nylon 12. I see why Nylon is not generally used for brake fluid - the issue is absorption and loss of stiffness and strength. Yeah, only 2 % mass increase and small loss of stiffness and strength but that is in a 30 day test and if you are an OEM, you worry about years not days.

Yes, glass addition will mean you start off with higher stiffness and strength than just Nylon and the glass fraction will not absorb either. But...

Pretty sure polypropylene [PP] is standard for reservoirs. Aside form better compatibility with fluid, it is about half the price of Nylon and easier to mould in a mass production sense. Nylon is a generically stronger material but strength is not the main design parameter for a reservoir.

This does not mean I think the Tilton Nylon reservoir is a bad product :) It does mean that I will use PP to print mine.

I spotted my brake fluid reservoir is cracking on the top, so i know I am on borrowed time.

I would love to replace with an ally version, and in my distant memory I seem to recall something along these lines but my searching can only find plastic replacements.

Anyone recall a metal replacement? Ideally I could put the same or similar cap on the top to keep the low level warning.

If not I will probably go with a new plastic one that DG rally sell but a love the idea of a metal one.
Have you thought about using two clutch fluid reservoirs to replace the single combined one you probably have? The '74s had this setup.

Have you thought about using two clutch fluid reservoirs to replace the single combined one you probably have? The '74s had this setup.
Interesting. My 74 came from the factory with a dual reservoir for the brakes. There is a drawing in the 74 Fiat service manual that indicates two reservoirs. My guess is that they used what was available.

Interesting. My 74 came from the factory with a dual reservoir for the brakes. There is a drawing in the 74 Fiat service manual that indicates two reservoirs. My guess is that they used what was available.
in 74 there was no low fluid light. They combined the reservoirs (may have been a dot requirement.) but then they could add a low fluid warning light.

Back