Brake fluid trouble w/ new brake cylinder

abec

Wil
I replaced my Master brake cylinder and all 4 bleed valves with speed bleeder 1way valves. I filled the reservoir w/ fluid but no fluid is being pumped through the system.

Is there any trick to getting fluid into the system?

First, you have to open the speedbleeders, they only flow when loosened.

Did you bench-bleed the M/C? Often a pressure bleeder works well.

Also make sure you havn't kinked the soft lines. I kinked one and couldn't get any fluid at the rear of the car.

lol yea i loosened the speed bleeder on the passenger rear, I have steel braided lines at all 4 corners, and the line from the remote reservoir appears to have no kinks. I don't have access to a pressure bleeder.

It should start pumping fluid right? how long should i sit there and pump, i did it for like 5 mins without anything happening.

Oh, and no i did not bench bleed it... please say I didn't absolutely need to. I really would rather not have to take it out again.

Oh, and no i did not bench bleed it... please say I didn't absolutely need to. I really would rather not have to take it out again.

I did not bench bleed mine and it works fine. I had jambed one of the supply lines against the underside of the dash and the mounting bracket.

You can always remove the hardline going to the rear and make sure you have fluid there.

I've never bench bled my brakes...

but I've never used speedbleeders before either. Is the fluid level in the reservoir dropping at all?

Ohhhh Wil, Wil, Wil...

What are we to do with you... talk about YOUTH wasted on the young!

Bench bleeding is an absolute MUST if yur working on a Chevrolet and can be helpful here also... but since there is so much time and struggle mounting the master, its usually a wasted effort. Soooo....

The best thing I THINK you could do now is make or use a PRESSURE bleeder. NOTE... no more than about 10 lbs is NEEDED or WANTED.

I've used a bicycle pump and needle forced into the reservoir cap and have also seen other caps made with SCHRADER valves so that a conventional pump or air nozzle can be affixed. Care must be take not to BLOW UP the reservoir or BLOW OUT the fill line to the master... with just enough pressure to force the fluid through the system and into the lines.

BTW... it takes about a QUART to fill the system... and the last time I did this on ANTHONY G's car... of all things, we fought for hours! the main reason for the trouble was ME... as I didn't think it could hold so much fluid and I kept looking for leaks!

Two people or more really helps...

How's your brother these days??? Shall I have a talk with him.. I fathered an attorney ya know... HA!

Let me see if we have a bike pump laying around, and I do have a quart of Motul600 dot4 racing fluid!

I am going try to take out the speed bleeders and see if i get fluid in the lines, then when all the lines at least have fluid in them I can put them back on and bleed them.

As for my brother, hes unwilling to help me out any way what so ever. I should be good though.

If you take all the bleeders out, top off the reservoir, and let it sit; you should get fluid out of each of the bleeder holes.

Eventually. Let it sit and go have some beers.

If you take all the bleeders out, top off the reservoir, and let it sit; you should get fluid out of each of the bleeder holes.

Eventually. Let it sit and go have some beers.

DING DING DING, we have brake pressure!

I took out all the bleeders, but instead of waiting I just pumped the brake a bit, when there was a small pool under each brake I tightened up all the bleeders and proceeded to bleed the brakes. After I got done with my first round I noticed the brake pressure was almost back to where It was when I first got the car before the master began to fail. I need more brake fluid though, so i stopped for now until I can get another bottle of Motul.

Thank you all, and I must say after I got brake pressure those speed bleeders are well worth the small lump of change spent on them!

well coulda done like i did.... spent HOURS on it.. but you attached the bleeder screw to a hose, and stick the hose in a jar with some fluid.. and make sure the other end of the hose is ALWAYS submerged in fluid

well coulda done like i did.... spent HOURS on it.. but you attached the bleeder screw to a hose, and stick the hose in a jar with some fluid.. and make sure the other end of the hose is ALWAYS submerged in fluid

Oh I have done it that way, though this is the first time I had replaced a master cylinder. These one way valve bleed screws are great (http://speedbleeder.com/), I picked up 5 one for each corner and one for the clutch slave. I also picked up a brake fluid "iv" Once I got fluid in all the lines, it was cake to bleed the brakes, just attached the "iv" and pumped a few times. Though there was left over fluid in the system so I need to flush it all out with new stuff :(.

Back