Brake Light Switch

Larry

True Classic
I went to replace the brake light switch on my '79 X. I've done this before on the 131 I drove in college, but it appears the PO cross-threaded the switch when installing it.

As I recall in the past, I would grab onto the electrical connector part and use that to unscrew the switch, but on this one, the connector part turns, but barely. I've already loosened the 17mm nut but can't rotate the switch out.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Larry
'79 X1/9
'86 X1/9
'81 Spider 2000

Try some Liquid Wrench™ or similar, and also try heating the part it's screwed into, as with a torch. This will enlarge the "hole" and may free it up.

OUCH... Before ya light off a torch down there...

KA-BOOM!!!

I would get a THIRD hand to attempt to slide a putty knife, or a knife, or a screwdriver between the trans casing and the switch... to apply pressure OUTWARDS... as you turn the switch counterclockwise.

In this manner, you might be able to get the threads to "catch" past the "stripped" part and engage enough so that it starts to back out.

When installing the NEW switch after you've cleaned up the threads as best as possible... You might experiment with plumbers-tape on the threads to seal it and/or some thin washers so that it doesn't require over-tightening to seal against leaks.

That's the one. Being plastic, you could tap it out with a hammer, clean the threads, and install the new one.

Sorry Larry... I must've had a stroke...

I was thinking about the Back-up light switch on the trans... I dunno why... must've been the "heat it up" advice from Gregory... I just imagined a torch and all and got carried away.

Some of what I wrote may still apply though... let us know how ya make out.

I have an extra one (they are the same switch as in the Alfa Spider), so if you need one, you are welcome to this one. Email me at mandlebaum at sbcglobal dot net.

Allen

I forgot to add: If it is cross threaded, the only thing that I have found is to break it off and then pry the plastic parts out of the metal bracket, so that you can screw the new one it. They will come out fairly easily, but it is one of those lovely stand-on-your-head-while-laying-upside-down tricks that one has to utilize in X1/9s.

FIRST, however, test the continuity across the terminals on your current switch. The problem MAY not be in your switch. If your switch tests out OK, then you need to look at grounds.

Allen

Thanks for the offer...

But I picked up a couple of them from Vick's - $5.75 each. I bought 2 so I have a spare for either my Spider (when it's back on the road) or my '86 X.

Larry
'79 X1/9
'86 X1/9
'81 Spider 2000

Back