Brake line nut replacements

Dr.Jeff

True Classic
As we know the Fiat's brake line attachments use a odd sized nut fitting. Its a fine thread with Lucas tip for ISO/DIN bubble flares, plus a longer shank. The actual dimensions of the stock ones on my X measure: M10 (1.25) X 18mm overall length, for 3/16" line.

I've found two sources that sell them. Both are M10 (1.25), designed for ISO/DIN flare fit on 3/16" line. One has a overall length of 15mm so a little shorter but will still work. The other has a overall length of 21mm so a little longer but will also work. Both have been confirmed by the manufacturer as correct and both are made in the USA (what ever that means).

Here are the sources and prices:

"Brake Quip" - part number BQ4512, priced $1.54 each plus $7 to ship to my location (for comparison). This is the slightly shorter one.

"Classic Tube" - part number ST8049, priced $3.59 each plus $13 shipping to me. This is the slightly longer one.

Although their product listings do not offer all of the necessary info to easily find them, they are readily available and correct according to the companies' tech people. I don't have a need for any so won't be ordering them, but if anyone does please post your feedback (companies are often wrong about things).

Thank you for your research :)

At first I thought these were same as used on Volvos (of which I have some spares), but they use ISO/DIN "bubble" flare nuts M10x1, if I'm now remembering correctly.

I need pics, so I'll add one later for reference :D

Yes, M10 (1.0) is the common thread for every other car out there, besides a couple old Italian makes like Fiat. They look like this:

Copper-nickle-brake-line (1).jpg

Are you referring to replacements for the brake lines for the clutch and brake masters on the pedal box? Can you reuse the old ones or must these be changed when replacing the masters?

You can reuse old ones, bit if they have any damage or rust, even on the nut end, better use new ones to avoid unnecessary problems.

Are you referring to replacements for the brake lines for the clutch and brake masters on the pedal box? Can you reuse the old ones or must these be changed when replacing the masters?
This applies to the nuts on the master as well as the calipers. On my X (I assume it is the same for all) the clutch uses the same type of nuts but a larger size (also with a rare thread), which are also available.
As Janis said, yes the old ones can be reused. Unfortunately they often get frozen in place and removing them results in significant damage. Getting a proper seal on these seems to be an issue if they are distorted, damaged, or corroded so new nuts helps in those cases. It requires cutting off the end of the tube, placing the new nut, then creating a new bubble flare, so not a simple task. But the most difficult part has been finding the correct size/thread of nuts (until now).

Is there a preference to shorter vs longer than OEM fittings? I'll be ordering a hand full of these and replace as needed without having to search out this thread and wait for shipping.

I know this is an old thread but wanted to update the Cunifer brake line fittings link (now Fedhill in Massachusetts).
These are the M10x1.25 brake line nuts for 3/16” (4.75mm) OD tubing, over all length is 19mm; for bubble flares.

Back