Brief X1/9 mention in Hemmins "sleeper" article

Interesting note on value...

I noticed that based on the value when new and current value, the X1/9 has the best value retention of all of these cars. Look at it. It is the only car that is worth basically what it was when it sold new. None of the others are even close to being worth what they were when new. Interesting. Just thought I would point it out.
BMW 630/633/635 CSi/L6
Cost then: $23,600-$47,000
Cost today: $1,500-$10,000
Jaguar XJ-S
Model years: 1976-1996
Cost then: $19,000-$82,550
Cost today: $3,500-$25,000
FIAT/bertone x1/9
Model years: 1974-1990
Cost then: $3,917-$13,990
Cost today: $2,000-$12,000
Honda prelude
Model years: 1979-1982
Cost then: $6,445-$7,995
Cost today: $1,500-$3,500
Porsche 928 s4/gt
MODEL YEARS: 1987-1991
Cost then: $58,900-$80,920
Cost today: $7,500-$31,000
PEUGEOT 505 turbo/turbos
Model years: 1985-1992
Cost then: $18,150-$26,335
Cost today: $500-$5,000
Volkswagen Corrado G60/SLC
MODEL YEARS: 1990-1994
Cost then: $17,900-$25,150
Cost today: $1,500-$13,500

True, but may be just not having had so far to fall

I noticed that based on the value when new and current value, the X1/9 has the best value retention of all of these cars. Look at it. It is the only car that is worth basically what it was when it sold new. None of the others are even close to being worth what they were when new.

Any reliable driver with an available part supply is worth a few grand as a fun driver. That puts a floor under the price, and the X started closer to that floor than the others. What is confirmed here is that the early exxies were a huge bargain... and in terms of fun per dollar, still are.

Last edited:
I always liked the 308 GT4

Another Bertone model that didn't (and sometimes still doesn't) get a lot of respect. Wish I would have bought one when they were cheaper but the maintenance would probably have sucked the $ out of me.

I'm surprised my other car isn't on the list. It's a 94 BMW 840Ci. New it was over $70,000 and I bought it 2.5 yrs ago for $14,000. Outstanding long distance GT. The bimmer makes 100mph feel like 40 and the X makes 40 feel like 100!

8 series BMW

Is it a manual or automatic. 8 or 12 cylinder.
I have driven an automatic 8 and I have to say I liked my 94 Lincoln Mark VIII much more.... Don't know if I would say the same if I tried a 12. But I don't know, that BMW 12 and the Ford V8 are pretty close in power.

Back in the day (mid 1990's) I got offered more than one Ferrari 308 GT4 for anywhere between $5K to $10K, with parts support and wrenching from the guys at the shopp... decided no. It was "funner" to enjoy the cars at the shop instead. Where else can I go for a post service test ride in a 512 boxer or F40 or Lambo or vintage Maser....

Regardless, the 308 GT4 is underrated and less appreciated due to it's Bertone styling. In ways, it's kind of like the Ferrari 348. Both are a good value IMO.

Another Bertone model that didn't (and sometimes still doesn't) get a lot of respect. Wish I would have bought one when they were cheaper but the maintenance would probably have sucked the $ out of me.

I'm surprised my other car isn't on the list. It's a 94 BMW 840Ci. New it was over $70,000 and I bought it 2.5 yrs ago for $14,000. Outstanding long distance GT. The bimmer makes 100mph feel like 40 and the X makes 40 feel like 100!

This was the short that prompted me to write Craig F about the errors and mis-information. We ended up discussing this via email.
My points to Craig were:

FIAT/bertone x1/9
Model years: 1974-1990
Cost then: $3,917-$13,990
Cost today: $2,000-$12,000

Dart-shaped mid-engine sports cars were all the rage in the 1970s, and Fiat was among the breed's pioneers, with a difference: No high-strung V-12 exotic here, the X1/9 was an economy-minded wedgy middie for the people.

*No mention that this was the car designed by Bertone after the Lambo Miura with a number of the same designers at Bertone and they used what they learned from designing the transverse mid engine Miura on the X1/9.

This twin-trunked, steel bodied (with integral roll bar) sports car with a removable fiberglass targa top was as modern as the minute, and would last, with minor freshening, for more than 15 years.

*No mention of the proposed US federal mandates for crash safety which drove the design of the X1/9 and resulted in a rather heavy chassis for it's size.

The 1974 X1/9 was powered by a transverse 1,290cc four-cylinder with a Solex two-barrel carburetor that made 66.5hp and was mated exclusively to a four-speed manual.

*Anyone noted a stock Solex carb on a X1/9? Every one I ever saw n real life and every FIAT factor document I know of notes a Weber carb.

If you think that hp number is puny for a sports car, consider that it weighed a mere 1,933 pounds. The delicate original bumpers were replaced with larger, sturdier units, as per federal regulations for 1975.

*Delicate bumpers? Mere 1,933 pounds for a car this size? They should compared this with similar sized car of the day.

"Big bore" X1/9s arrived in 1979, powered by 67hp, 1,498cc four-cylinders and shifted by new five-speed manual gearboxes, and a switch to electronic fuel injection brought 75hp in 1981.

*Bosch EFI started in CA, in the 1980's and became the norm.

Despite the popularity of their sports cars, Fiat withdrew from the U.S. after 1983. Carrozzeria Bertone, the car's assembler, kept the flame alive by badging them as Bertone X1/9s,

*Why did they not mention the X1/9 being a Bertone creation rather than a "FIAT" creation? What Hemmings should have stated is the X1/9 is one of the few mass produced Italian Carrozzeria cars sold in the US and other car markets in the world.

*They also did not mention that the x1/9 was an important source of income for Bertone and was their sole source of consistent product income. Bertone took x1/9 production quite seriously. Even when FIAT basically abandoned them to go it alone with the x1/9.

and Malcolm Bricklin imported them from 1984 through 1990. Despite these late cars being nicely trimmed with AM/FM stereo cassettes, air conditioning and power windows,

*Bricklin did more harm to the X1/9 than good. IMO, Bricklin tried to make the x1/9 into a car it never was or could be. Having owned a number of later Bricklin-ized x1/9s, I don't like them as much as the pre-Bricklin cars.

they still combined 26 mpg city/37 mpg highway economy with go-kart handling.

Rust is the X1/9's number one enemy,

*How many times has this been discussed and myth dispelled? They continue to perpetuate the rusty FIAT myth, when fact is all cars from that era had similar rust problems. No mention of how corrosion protection changed and improved over the production life of the x1/9.

*They should look at their own Brit car fleet to see how rusty Brit cars can get.

Have a look at this TR6, relative rust free on the outside, but the frame is a total rust heap. Many of the frame/body Brit cars rust from the inside out due to the way their frame rails were made and
"rust proofed".

http://www.longislandtriumph.org/TR6+6.pdf

but mechanicals are inexpensive, so good examples are cheap to run.

The published price of 12K for an prime X is very optimistic. When was the last time anyone saw an X sell for any where near that much on ebay? When a car magazine publishes a "market value" for any car makes is reality? The majority of X1/9s sell for around 2-3K and very, very prime ones sell for about 5-6K. While similar Brit roadsters hold greater, more constant market value.

This is just another example of Brit centric US car media publishing stuff about a car they know little about.

Even the article Hemmings published later was only somewhat better. It seems no matter what is published about the x1/9, it has little effect on the cars market value? Many car folks have already made up their minds about FIAT and the x1/9 and it's not going to change anytime soon.

JimW had mentioned this a looong time ago, but I noticed the article was now on line:

http://www.hemmings.com/hsx/stories/2009/01/01/hmn_feature1.html

I tried to reply to JimW's thread, but it was locked.

Back