Bucking Jackass

WYOX19

True Classic
I think the Queen's bucking Jackass has been bucking to much and has lost his paint. My plan is to remove the yellow paint on both emblems, prime each emblem, locate a small quantity of yellow paint suitable for metal and paint them. I may have to drive to Montana to get paint. Any suggestions on paint type and a place to buy?

DSC_0007_zpsfcbspi0l.jpg

A suggestion:

Go to a craft shop and pick up a small bottle of Testor's Enamel. <- click
You might remember these when you were a kid.
(Yes, they've been around ever since Tony Natoli was a child!! - Ha!)

Note: 48 hours to cure.

BTW, if you have ambitions to remove the badges, I am suggesting you use a heavy (like 40LB test)
fishing line, and use that as a slow cutter behind the metal badge. I attached them with a bead of silicone
and 2-sided sticky tape. (to keep them from shifting during cure) Seemed to work out well and
you can re-attach them the same way.

Unless Testors has changed a lot over the years I wouldn't recommend it for such a project. It has been my experience that it fades and does not hold up to the elements. A good automotive paint would be best.

May I suggest

Going into your local John Deere dealer and buy a 1/2 pint of JD yellow touch up paint used on the mowers and other attachments. It is an enamel paint that wears like iron once cured.

TonyK.

Grimsby Ontario Canada.

Obviously Jim you have been ABUSING...

the emblems as well as the car.

You should be taken out and lynched!

And I agree with Bob (please note... as these agreements are rare...) that Testor's was and still is my favorite paint.

The also make PAINT PENS as well but I think a SET of Red, Black, Yellow and GREEN (probably Blue and White as well) and a few brushes would work well.

Something like this here for less than 10 bucks:

http://www.tcpglobal.com/TES9146x.html?gclid=CMryvtig18QCFc9hfgodubUA9w#.VR0E1eFVXbg

And CLEAR enamel spray as the topping!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/400872714708?lpid=82&chn=ps

As for "technique"...

I would "pick off" and remove ALL the remaining color and then CLEAN the it all with LACQUER thinner and then ALCOHOL.

The RUB the entire piece face down to ensure there is a high gloss on the RAISED areas. I would NOT bother to use Primer... as you are gonna FLOAT a lot of paint in the recessed area as if it were a "porcelain" filler.

(I believe the extreme COLD there caused this problem... we have FADING issues here...)

So... No that they are cleaned up and ready... float a lot of paint in the recessed areas doing the smaller areas first. Let it dry and shrink for a day, and keep up the process until you have the level and quality you want.

Clean up the HIGH's just by rubbing face down on a cloth on a hard flat surface. I doubt you'll need it... but you could use a barely moist cloth with thinner and rub LIGHTLY, and then rub some more on a dry cloth. FLAT COTTON, no terry or microfiber!

Now... apply a light coat of clear and let it dry for a few hours, the several more allowing them to dry thoroughly... BUT do this all in a matter of 6 hours or so.

If you wait a day or so... then you'll need to wait about 2 weeks before attempting it again as it will either tend to FOG or otherwise impact the paint below it.

Have fun, keep in touch and take some fotos... and unless you find a better way to keep your car in a more moderate temperature, this will probably happen again.

Lastly, my daughter is a damn good attorney and we could go after Ricardo and sue for a new set plus the pain and suffering you are going through. All you need is your Warranty Card and Receipt. You do have those, right?

(hehehe!)

Thanks one and all.:) This am I'm going to drive the Queen 1 1/2 hours to Cody, WY in hopes of finding a suitable paint. It’s a nice drive if you like looking at wild horses and snow capped mountains through the front windshield as well as the rear view mirror.

Warranty card and receipt

My daughter is a damn good attorney and we could go after Ricardo and sue for a new set plus the pain and suffering you are going through. All you need is your Warranty Card and Receipt. You do have those, right? (hehehe!)

Ha! Hey thanks Tony for skipping the middle man ... :grin:

Pictures, or it doesn't exist!!

Thanks one and all.:) This am I'm going to drive the Queen 1 1/2 hours to Cody, WY in hopes of finding a suitable paint. It’s a nice drive if you like looking at wild horses and snow capped mountains through the front windshield as well as the rear view mirror.

As the title of this post says ... :bla: :D

I let my fingers do the walking and located JD yellow paint in either a spray can or a 1 QT container. Even though I have a JD tractor, I'm thinking that a spray can would be the way to go. I will spray the paint into a small container until it puddles and then brush the paint on to the emblem.
Pictures of things you might see or do when visiting Wyoming.
IMG_0273_zps50f0410b.jpg

qP1010012JPGRckyMtnSheep_zps28066c29.jpg

qP1010024JPGbuffalo_zps90e0e608.jpg

1c564b59-32e0-41fb-b9b7-3096a94f87f4_zpskomria4n.jpg

The Queen made the 3 hour round trip to Cody and I bought a spray can of John Deere yellow paint. The trip was made in cloudy weather and when I arrived in Cody it was snowing. When the weather warms up, I'll restore the bucking Jackass to it's original condition,:) Thanks to all that contributed.

Hey Bob... it was a QUALITY CONTROL issue... not a...

design and finance issue...

Otherwise he would be suing us all! HA!

Hey... I don't know which one is scarier...

or rarer...

The X1/9, the Rams, the Buffalo, or that old fisherman!

Usually us guys in SoCal would haveta visit 4 different Zoos to find these things! Thanks for posting... looks like a great trip!

Back