Bulb Base rebuild

Robert Mose

True Classic
Last week was spent chasing and solving electrical gremlins. I thought I had everything whe I went to put the bulb in the rear tail lights and the reverse on the drivers side was not working. I had power all the way up to the connector and a good ground but nothing coming out for the bulb. I concluded the the corrosion must be deeper.

Here is the bulb connector I am talking about.

DSC_2694.jpg

Here is the back view. I disassembled the connector by drilling off the rivvet heads with a 1/8 drill
DSC_2695.jpg

Here is the connector with the cover removed with the current stopping corrosion.
DSC_2696.jpg

Here it is cleaned up
DSC_2697.jpg

I had to epoxy the housing back together and also to the taillight housing.
DSC_2698.jpg

I ended up doing one other on the other side and two on the front indicators. By the last one I was getting pretty fast at them. I could have one apart, cleaned and back together in 5 minutes.

Nice work

Always good to see folks take that extra step to make something electrical work correctly. Thanks for sharing.

Epoxy

I used regular epoxy and let it set for 36hrs before putting a bulb in it. I thought about rivits or small self tappers but the housings seemed fragile.

When I did mine...

I used really small screws and nuts. I'm not sure of the exact size, maybe #2 or #4. I think they came in a hardware assortment that was in a little plastic "cabinet of drawers" that I got from Harbor Freight. Come to think of it, I'm sure they're Chinese so they're probably metric. Maybe M2 x 0.50?

Pete

Back