CA Cat laws, has anyone experienced the fall out yet?

abec

Wil
So I finally got some money together to put into freeing up my exhaust system. The cat & muffer were both clogged to hell. I wanted to keep the car somewhat legal exhaust legal, a good decently flowing cat and muffler. Anything would have been better then the 24 year old stuck stuff. So I decided to go ask around and see if i could get a good price at a near by muffler shop.

Well no one wanted anything to do with the X. There are no cats certified to work with the X. I guess the state has a list, if your car is on the list it must use a specific model cat. If your car is not on the list, then you must go and get an OEM cat from your dealership.

So unless CA is picking up our shipping cost to Italy, there is no way for any X1/9 newer then 1975 to pass smog if your cat fails...

So what did I do? I called a friend, who called his friend, who knew a guy, that may or may not have been able to weld me up a new exhaust, that may or may not have been without a cat. Pics, may or may not be on their way.

Last edited:
Contact your local equivilant to NC's DMV. There should be an emissions "officer"

'splain to them about the un-availability of the OEM parts. Take a Summit cataloge (or similar) with you to show that you can get an aftermarket cat for reasonable $ and are not trying to skirt the law, but are looking for a reasonable around for old - bustificated - nla parts.

See if they can issue an exemption for aftermarket emissions equip.

aftermarket units are available on ebay...

search for Fiat + converter to see some examples. Hope you find what you need.

I guess my sarcasm in the last sentence didn't get picked up on. :laugh:

I was able to find someone willing to weld up a whole knew exhaust for cheap. So I ended up ditching the stock system all together. So I no longer need to deal with replacing the cat.

I just don't understand the point in forcing people into this socialized system for buying cats. if the car passes the already tough smog test, then WTF is the problem?

I caught it, just hadn't had a chance to reply!

:laugh:

If the car is listed as a CAT required, don't they do a physical inspection at time of testing? That may not be a good thing....

:laugh:

If the car is listed as a CAT required, don't they do a physical inspection at time of testing? That may not be a good thing....

Not good at all. My understanding is that, all aftermarket cats installed prior to 09 are now void and will fail you on visual inspection. So even going out of your way to go out of state to buy a 49 state legal cat.

Not good at all. My understanding is that, all aftermarket cats installed prior to 09 are now void and will fail you on visual inspection. So even going out of your way to go out of state to buy a 49 state legal cat.

You don't state if your car is carbureted or fuel injected... I still stock new OE carbureted cats, and stock (what used to be ) CARB approved fuel injected cats.
I may need to read up on the cat thing for my California clients.

the cats you stock that were legal a few months ago are now illegal. i just put cats on my 03 silverado. i had some 08 cats lined up for a low price. i figured if they cant prove they were installed after a certain date, they cant say they are illegal.

They better not tell me I have to use a factory cat replacement if/when it goes out on my '85 BMW 635; OEM units are ~$1200. :shock2:

the cats you stock that were legal a few months ago are now illegal. i just put cats on my 03 silverado. i had some 08 cats lined up for a low price. i figured if they cant prove they were installed after a certain date, they cant say they are illegal.

I am unsure exactly if they are enforcing it that way, but from the way the law is worded to me it sounds like they could.

They better not tell me I have to use a factory cat replacement if/when it goes out on my '85 BMW 635; OEM units are ~$1200. :shock2:

Ouch, now I really hope they are not enforcing it that way. For your sake!

my buddy has a bimmer, 540i nice car. i would never own a bimmer, everytime he works on something its stupid expensive for almost any part needed. he crys everytime. then he finds a place that will save him a few bucks, and it seems like everytime he does this they screw up the car. nice car but not worth the cost of maintaining.

Sorry that maybe I've taken this thread off-topic, but...

Older bimmers (generally, pre -1990) are the the ones that real enthusiasts tend to prize the most. They're rugged, relatively simple and seem to go forever; it's not uncommon for the "big sixes" to accumulate 300-400K miles before they need a rebuild. Except for the "M" models (M6, M3, M5) as a rule older bimmers are also fairly cheap to maintain since parts are readily available. Enthusiasts avoid buying their parts at "stealers" because of the markup, and tend to have work performed at good independent shops. I don't know of anyone who has actually purchased a new OEM cat converter and paid that $1200.

However, all German cars seemed to get burdened with overly complicated electronics in the 1990s, and that 540 has a reputation for being very expensive to maintain. The V8 they used in it also had cylinder wear problems which wasn't corrected until the ~1995 model year.

If you buy a newer used BMW, you'd better have some cash reserves set aside, and don't plan to scrimp on maintenance.

I'm wondering if this impending rule change is the reason that some internet cat vendors have the message 'not for sale in CA' in the fine print. Not that I would suggest doing something illegal, but if they have a problem with shipping product to California, it does not mean someone out of state can purchase it for you...

converters in California

OK, here it is straight from the California BAR.

Original Equipment manufacture catalytic converters are exempt from the new law. The law only applies to aftermarket converters. This means the 20 or so OE carbureted cats I have in stock are legal to sell, and legal to install on vehicles for which this is the correct application.

For aftermarket cats, ones installed on pre OBD2 cars are required to have the new label attached to them, but the catalytic converter is not required to be inspected to confirm it has the label. I am told all of the old aftermarket CARB approved converters I have in stock can still be legally sold & installed. But I was advised that if I restock any newly manufactured converters should have the label attached, and I should refuse them if they do not.

For 1996 & later vehicles, the converter is required to be inspected. If it is an aftermarket converter it MUST have the BAR approved label installed. The technician is going to record the information and confirm that the converter is approved for that installation.

Examples of the label & application information can be found on this site http://www.car-sound.com/04basics/04california.asp

Chris Obert

Man, I'm so sick of CA bureaucracy. Suddenly it's no longer enough that a car passes emissions testing; NOW it has to have a specially "government approved" cat converter.

Big brother on the march. Another reason so many people are moving out of this state.

Then you should move to New Hampshire

Because WE don't have ANY emissions testing....

It rains 24/7 here, so the exhaust emissions fall to the ground like acid rain.
You can even run fart cans here legally, :fart:as long as they don't sound like a straight pipe. :woot:

But alas, you have little rain there, so you get to actually DRIVE your cars! :hmm: Here, we get to fix the rust spots on a regular basis. Now doesn't that sound like more fun to you??

Being originally from Illinois I know of which you speak (re:rust). :nod:

I guess it come down to choosing between two forces controlling the use of our cars: lousy weather or big government. At least weather is naturally occurring and you can adapt to it voluntarily (if begrudgingly). Big government :worship: and the word "voluntary" can't be used in the same sentence.

Hey, I've heard Texas has a good balance between the two. I'm sure there are other places.

Back