California emissions worry for FI X

fiatmonkey

Tim Hoover
Hi everyone,

I have an 86 X that I will eventually need to smog before end of 09. I have owned an 81 FI X sometime ago and I *think* I had no real issues with it passing. Reason I am concerned about this one is although It was originally a California car it quickly moved itself to Michigan and later to FL and it has not had to pass a stringent smog like it would here. What parts should I check to make sure it will pass? Does anyone have any "tricks" for passing FI car? All of the obvious stuff looks to be in order (canister, CC is attached but havent tested it, Sensor is installed).

Any advice would be helpful.

-FM

Advice

Make sure the car is properly tuned, everything is set to stock specs and change your oil just before. A stock X is usually easy to smog.

If the car seems to be...

... running well, with a functional 02 sensor *and* catalytic you should have no problems. As already stated, FI Xs comfortably meet emission requirements.

In my experience (with both the X and the 2000 Spider), the Bosch L-Jetronic system is fairly bullet proof. The engine either runs well and clean, or it doesn't run at all...

J.

Thanks for putting me at ease...

I appreciate it! The car will def get a full tune up before hand and I will check that the 02 sensor is working properly as well.

Thanks!,
Tim

Back