Caliper brake fluid issue

Yves

True Classic
Last week my Brake light turn on:eek:, I check my brake fluid and is low,
I fill up, one day after the brake turn one again:eek::eek: !

Finally I check the four wheels brake and found my passenger rear wheel caliper is leaking by the hand break mechanism. Take a look to the pictures.

That the second time I have that type of issue and I try to figure out what's append, why they start to leak with less than 2k miles?

I'm pretty lucky that rebuild caliper came from Midwest Bayless and I just need to send an email to Matt, and Thomas answer me, they will send me a replacement part.
img47771.jpg

img47781.jpg

img47791.jpg

img47801.jpg

That's what I call good services:headbang:.

Thanks Midwest-Bayless team :)

There is an O-ring between the brake cylinder bore cavity and shaft that operates the brake piston's hand brake mechanism.

Either the O-ring has failed, shaft has a problem or the O-ring gland has a problem..

Regardless, the rear caliper must be taken apart to see what has failed.

Bernice

Last week my Brake light turn on:eek:, I check my brake fluid and is low,
I fill up, one day after the brake turn one again:eek::eek: !

Finally I check the four wheels brake and found my passenger rear wheel caliper is leaking by the hand break mechanism.

Bernice,

Probably your right but I will return the defective part to Widwest-Bayless.
If the part is not on warranty I will take the time to dissemble for trouble shooting but it's not the case.

What is scare me it's the second time in less a year!... I wish it's the last time.... for of couple of years.

Same thing happend to my

left rear caliper a few weeks ago. Probably only had 300 miles on new caliper when it failed. Although i didnt see a drop in brake fluid my brake pedal got real spongie and one day when i took a peek under the rear i could see brake fluid on the inside wall of my tire. Leaked at the same place as your's. Any way i replaced the caliper (under warranty) and my brakes now feel solid.

That O-ring is very subject to damage when the caliper is put back together. All it takes is one small nick on the O-ring, poor surface finish on the shaft or damaged O-ring gland and it will leak.

Bernice

Bernice,

Probably your right but I will return the defective part to Widwest-Bayless.
If the part is not on warranty I will take the time to dissemble for trouble shooting but it's not the case.

What is scare me it's the second time in less a year!... I wish it's the last time.... for of couple of years.

Back