Calling the engine experts

cozzoi

George
Subject: Piston ring groove depth 1500cc DATA STD

1- I'm about to order Total Seal gapless rings and in order to custom make the top ring, they need the original piston groove depth.
I will apreciatte if somebody have this info.

2- Also I'm fitting an euro head with 14 bolts on a 10 bolts engine block. I noticed that the extra bolts holes are matching a portion of the water jackets in the block. Can I just simply plug the holes and fit the head?? The head gasket I'm using is the 10 bolt one and covers the water jackets.

thank you in advance
George

Last edited:
Total seal has a top ring kit for the 1500, they just forget.

part number s9316

I needed to remind them of this when I was pricing the kit.

they can also build a 2nd ring gapless set for more with the 2nd ring dimensions...but i never got that far

discontinued

part # s9316 is for the gapless 2nd ring but they discontinued it
They custom make the 1st gapless ring now but they need the specs for the piston grooves including depth

Last edited:
Let me know what you find out

I'm wanting to re-ring my car with total seal rings too and was about to start looking into this. I've got the 9.2:1 pistons in my 87mm bored 1500. My father (R.I.P.) put the short block together and I'm pretty sure it has total seal rings already in it, but I can't find any reference to it in any of my paperwork. When you find out the info, please let me know. Thanks. :grin:

For a stock 1500cc piston:

Top ring: 0.140" long

2nd ring: 0.145" long

3rd/oil ring is single piece: 0.109" long, without the spring.

Ring groove depth on all three: 0.160"

Spec for the piston ring width is in the service manual.

Bernice

Subject: Piston ring groove depth 1500cc DATA STD

1- I'm about to order Total Seal gapless rings and in order to custom make the top ring, they need the original piston groove depth.
I will apreciatte if somebody have this info.

2- Also I'm fitting an euro head with 14 bolts on a 10 bolts engine block. I noticed that the extra bolts holes are matching a portion of the water jackets in the block. Can I just simply plug the holes and fit the head?? The head gasket I'm using is the 10 bolt one and covers the water jackets.

thank you in advance
George

Back